workshop

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

workshop

Postby CvdC » 24 Dec 2011, 22:35

I have often said that nature abhors an empty horizontal space as much as a vacuum and here is proof:
http://shoottheliving.com/index.php/por ... et-master/
Although I do see a few gaps here and there.
So Richard next time you feel your workshop needs a tidying up look at this picture and relax.

It is Christmas morning here, wet and getting warm. It is the day that us displaced Europeans indulge our genetic craving for winters past and think of snow, fur lined coats and yule logs in 30 degree heat in the middle of summer. When it is hot it can be quite comforting.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: workshop

Postby James » 24 Dec 2011, 23:07

Where have I seen that face before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRaiiT3ZnJw

Happy Christmas all!
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 25 Dec 2011, 13:08

Yes, we haven't heard from John for quite a while. Hibernation I suppose.
But what was he doing in my front room?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 15 Nov 2014, 18:47

I am adding to this old strand rather than starting a fresh one.
Last posting was Dec 2011 , and it is now early Nov 2014.

But yes ,it is "Workshops" :

Here is CvdCs picture again , but direct without the link.
I love this picture , and I am also sure that the bloke in the photo knows exactly where every tool is when he wants to lay his hands on something.
But the Chaos does make me giggle.
In an attempt to stop my whole house feeling a bit like this picture , I am in the process of building myself a new workshop .
It will be more of a storage space actually .
A large amount of "Really Useful Boxes" will be stacked in there full of puppet making fabrics and furs and all the junk I seem to hoard for puppet making .

But there will also be a bench at which to paint prosceniums and give my Heights of Abraham Booth panels fresh licks of red and white gloss paint in a space well away from the sawdust of the woodwork shed.

And in the layout design of the space , despite shelving that will run along both sides of the sheds length , I am being careful to incorporate a flat , level bit of open floorspace on which to either build new booths - or put up a booth to be able to practice new routines.

I am very lucky that there is enough space at the side and back of my house to utilise.
Three very large laurels had gotten completely overgrown and out of hand in one part of the garden.
And in the adjacent raised border the shrubs had put on a super sized growth spurt overt the last few years and were looking more than untidy , while an evergreen fir tree in their midst had almost toppled over and was leaning precariously and dangerously.

Faced with the choice of an expensive pruning job by a gardening service ( which would only need repeating every year ) ...or getting the tree surgeons in to remove the lot and start afresh , it was a 'no-brainer' ..the overgrown jungle had to go ! Here we are half way through the removal process :
I had intended to replant the space at first : and in fact the raised border will get new ( smaller spreading) shrubs when the shed is built .
But having seen the size of land left available when the laurels were gone , the thought of a new workspace was just too appealing.
Also the back of the raised border had been constructed in ugly looking breeze-blocks, which had not been a problem while they were hidden by the Laurels.
So rather than try to make the blocks look more attractive with a lot of fencing and planting in front, it was a better decision to incorporate the block wall into a shed base.

Now I can already hear Chris saying "Bully For You" and "What about beginners making stuff in their bedroom?" But with respect , we have covered all that fairly comprehensively in other threads .

So this is me indulgently "disposing of my millions" (sic)
Although actually , by doing the work myself and sourcing the timber and materials at the best prices I can find, this is a very cost effective exercise for the end result.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 15 Nov 2014, 19:20

Shuttering and timber stakes make channels for concrete to create the retaining wall /foundations to allow for a concrete floor to be laid.
But first , the Laurel stumps were scored and treated with a lot of 'stump-killer' poison , so hopefully mother nature won't start forcing her green shoots up through the shed floor anytime soon !
It was also a good chance to get rid of some rubble , broken bricks , tile offcuts and general junk , including a rusting black and decker workbench frame.
Three tons of hardcore are then wheelbarrowed into place from the front of the house where the builders merchants delivered it, spread all over the area and tamped down:
And finally the concrete for the floor.
Yes I do have my own concrete-mixer .
But this part of the process is not my favourite at all , I enjoy the timber construction.
Sadly the concrete and brick preparation is a necessary evil to be endured to get to the fun part.
My bricklaying skills are not great , but good enough for a shed base.
Cement dye in the last mix of mortar will mean that the small part that will show below the line of the timber cladding , will blend with the brown shed and the red paving of the garden.
More to follow another day ...
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 30 Nov 2014, 18:55

A few pics of the woodwork progress on the Workshop/Shed

When I build a workbench , it is always strong enough to climb on ( has to be here as I will need to clamber all over it to construct the shelves above )

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 30 Nov 2014, 19:37

I marvel that you find time to do any building in between taking photographs!
I like the stained glass windows.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 01 Dec 2014, 19:05

Yes I know Chris ..I have always been fairly trigger happy with the old digital camera.
And now of course , as with so many folk , the camera on my phone is not only ever present in my pocket , but also of a better pixel quality than any camera I have ever owned.

It is a work of seconds to whip it out and take a shot.

And with no need to rush down to Max Spielmans etc to have shots put on disc , or heaven forbid , actually printed - documenting any kind of building work is a cost free hobby. No running out of shelf space for the bursting photo albums either.

Whether it is puppets or booths or sheds , I find the looking through at 'what's been done so far' actually helps plan the 'what to do next' steps of a project.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 02 Dec 2014, 11:16

Well, that's quite a Grand Design there Richard, will it be on our tellies in the next series?
Will the walls be timber cladding?
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 03 Dec 2014, 21:25

Yup 'tis a Grand Design indeed Les
..But I suspect you are the same , in that what other sort of design is worth bothering with ?

We do a lot of these mad things to amuse ourselves mostly ...so I always aim for the maximum.
My boiler died on my about 9 days ago , I have found a nice but small gas boiler fitters locally: I intend never to darken the doors of 'British-expletive-Gas' again !!!! ..yes four exclamation marks !
But as good and reasonably priced as this firm should be , the earliest they could fit me in is next Tues (9th)
So I am working on the shed at the moment while the weather is at least dry ....as for the cold it seems warmer outside than indoors right now.

Hope all is well with you and yours !
Keep Warm

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop