quick question about hair glue!

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

quick question about hair glue!

Postby Benjie » 11 Feb 2012, 23:39

What sort of glue is best to stick fur to a wooden head and also hands to fabric, apologies if its already been mentioned on here before.
Benjie
Beefy
Beefy

Re: quick question about hair glue!

Postby Benjie » 12 Feb 2012, 16:08

I went for using uhu it seems to be working well, I will post some pictures later of my progress....
Benjie
Beefy
Beefy

Postby lesclarke » 13 Feb 2012, 11:42

I've found that Evostick and similar Contact Adhesives and Copydex can handle most of this type of jobs.
If you have Poundshops locally they now stock budget types of these Contact and Fabric adhesives, as well as budget Araldite-type, and I've had good results from them all. Araldite can cost an arm and a leg, but as usual trying the web gets it down to about £4.50

As advised, read the instructions and do tests with offcuts.

I was recently attaching some fur fabric to a dog puppet, in the past I have always used Evostick for this type of job, but because it is easier to work with and slightly cleaner in use I used Copydex. Letting both surfaces dry, it seemed to go well, and I held it in place for a while, but later when checking how well it had bonded it lifted cleanly away from the dog's 'skull area, which was smoothish primed papier mache.

It might have worked better if the dog's skull had been roughened, but still may not have had enough 'grab'.

The Copydex had 'sealed' the underside of fur fabric, so I switched to copydex on both surfaces, let it 'dry' and it bonded really well.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 13 Feb 2012, 12:14

Generally I'd suggest EvoStik's Impact Contact Adhesive http://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-impact-adhesive-250ml/38770

As ever, make sure you use the glue correctly. Sounds like stating the obvious, but different glues work in different ways, it's no good slathering it on and hoping for the best. Contact Adhesives are great but need to be used properly. Watch out for the fumes too. One of the bonuses is that they also produce EvoStik Adhesive Cleaner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evo-Stik-191-Adhesive-Cleaner/dp/B0001P03M4 It's great if the glue runs slightly over the puppet/work surface/your favourite jumper.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop