My First Puppet

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

My First Puppet

Postby Benjie » 13 Feb 2012, 11:47

After getting a copy of Glyn Edwards newly re printed how to perform Punch and Judy book last weekend I was inspired by the section on Mary's Puppet carving and also after having seen some of the previous posts on here I decided to give it a go.

Benjie
Beefy
Beefy

Re: My First Puppet

Postby paulwheeler » 13 Feb 2012, 11:53

Well done looks really good.
Love being a Punch & Judy man!
paulwheeler
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Richard Coombs » 20 May 2012, 10:03

Hey Benjie ..Bravo .

If that is really the first puppet you have ever made yourself ,then that is really fantastic.

its not half bad , by any standards ...but to say its the first thing youve tried your hand at- well done.

Very sensible too , to start with something like a Boxer.
That way by the time you get to doing Judy and then Punch , your confidence will have grown.

If I may ( and if you are patient enough to wait to do Punch) here is a suggested order for making the rest ...you may not want all of them in your show , but ;

Other Boxer
Ghost
Doctor
Hangman (with legs)
Policeman
Joey
Judy
Baby
Devil
Punch
Crocodile

That for me is the puppets in ascending order of complexity - apart from baby which is fairly easy, but nice to make when you do Judy .

The next Boxer will also have gloves , and the Ghost can have fabric or leather (or white vinyl), floppy talons instead of wooden ones ...so the first time you might need to make wooden hands would be the Doctor.

And its nice to try your hand at the Hangman with his dangly legs, before you do Punches legs and feet which you would probably want to make as 'working' legs.

The costumes and hair / hats get harder ( or at least more complex ~) as you go along .

If he has a cloak with collar, then the Devil could be a more tricky build than Judy ...especially if he has legs with hoofs and also a tail...so thats why he is just before Punch ( presumably the puppet you want your fanciest costume / needlework and rick rack or braiding skills for )

I put the Croc last , as I think it involves the most complex mix of skill sets ...like fitting the fabric around the wooden bits , so that the body and head join well for functionality , and also look cosmetically pretty ... this can take a bit of doing .

By the time you have done all the other characters ...your skills at working not only with wood , but also fabrics and sewing will have grown with each one you do ...so you will have the confidence to have a go a the old croc.

But whichever you decide to do next , I salute your endeavours .

Best of Luck with it all
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Benjie » 20 May 2012, 16:46

Hi Richard, thank you for the compliments, the boxer was indeed the first puppet I have ever made and the first carving work I've ever done, I should of updated this topic really as I also made the other boxer, a policeman and a joey, hopefully added pics to the topic, after the first two boxers I bought a lathe which I know isnt suitable for all puppets but it was perfect for the policeman and roughly shaping joey.
Benjie
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Benjie » 20 May 2012, 16:48

They don't look too great on the pics and the clothes look a bit baggy but I'm actually very pleased with them and the Policeman has now replaced my Beadle in the show and the boxing routine is a really handy to have to add in when needed. I agree with your list, already I know Mr Punch is the hardest to make and the croc is a completely different ball game!
Benjie
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Richard Coombs » 20 May 2012, 17:43

Very nice Benjie
Please do a pic of the two Boxers side by side when you get the time.

Ive been looking on my Photo Albums for pics of my Boxer ..and cannot find any finished ones.

Probably 'coz Ive only made one of the Pair. I must dig him out of the attic and take a shot of him.

Found this of it halfway through being built tho.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Benjie » 20 May 2012, 21:02

Here they are together

Benjie
Beefy
Beefy

Postby CvdC » 20 May 2012, 21:47

I too think you've got what it takes. These are classic punch and judy puppets. You could sell them to David Wilde in fact.
Use the heaviest fabrics you can find for the costumes and line them. And don't make them too short.
The ones I looked at the other day looked like they were made out of old trouser legs. (You could wear shorts this summer.) Otherwise I've been thinking of sourcing serge, which is the fabric they use for uniforms.
Also be sure the arms fit three fingers. As some performers prefer this.
Personally I'd sew on a striped cuff to one of the PCs arms. Not simply because it is proper but it gives something bright to emphasise arm movements from a distance.
Richard's order is spot on, although I'd put the baby further up the list. Remember that if a mistake is made you can turn any puppet into a ghost. Or you can saw off the face if you're really keen. ;)
Last edited by CvdC on 20 May 2012, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 20 May 2012, 22:10

Benjie ..yep they make a nice Pairing together.
And yes indeed CvdC ..you can saw a puppets face off ( dunno if you saw my Royal Queen thread before you put that :-) lol)

Ive put Queen Victorias new face on today ..just going to the thread now to post some pics

Last edited by Richard Coombs on 19 Jan 2013, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 20 May 2012, 22:14

This is a bit unusual for me I'm used to posting during the dead of night when you're all asleep.
I get more time to reconsider what I've written.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 20 May 2012, 22:34

Hello CvdC ...how much longer are you in the UK for ?

I think while I was putting pics on the other thread you were typing your last reply ..so we must have briefly been online together ..how exciting , as yes , we are usually in totally different time zones :-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 20 May 2012, 22:49

Yes, boxers look just right for the job, and I like the PC he has real character, a good expression.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Harvey » 15 Jan 2013, 16:49

I once built some boxers out of clay and I finnished them off at school and I left them there to dry went to pick them up a few days later and they had been stolen :cry:
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Harvey » 27 Feb 2013, 10:25

Just wanted to ask what is the hardest puppet to carve/make? :?:
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Richard Coombs » 27 Feb 2013, 11:43

...Whichever one you happen to be working on at the time ! LOL

Joking aside ... I have said in previous posts I think the hardest to make is the Crocodile.

All other characters are humanoid ..and carving any head or hands gets better the more you do it.
So does the costume making.

But the Croc is SO different that it requires different skills ( or rather the same one used in a different way ).

Your Idea to make a monkey next , as practice before doing Joey the Clown , sounds like a good thing to me.

But there is no substitute for 'Doing It' ...so perhaps less thinking about it ..and more actually trying ...remembering that it is OK to fail . Every time you make mistakes you learn.

Good Luck

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Next

Return to Punch Workshop