SOSAGE MACHINE

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

SOSAGE MACHINE

Postby lesclarke » 05 Apr 2012, 18:09

Just been making a slightly smaller version of my sausage machine, for use in a smaller booth. Made 2 at same time, one for another prof. It's a relatively straightforward design, needs no special tools and moderate level of skill. The original, larger design has stood up well for some 10 years of use.

Using the 2.5 litre paint container, and a plumbing fitting for the spout, (40mm tank connector) overcomes some of the usual problems of scratch-building a design, and makes joining the spout to the body very simple.

Lots of step-by-step pics on Flickr, 2 different sets showing slight variation in handle position, because of different moulding design of containers.

I will add notes to pics on Flickr next week, giving construction/assembly/finishing hints and tips for anyone who wishes to copy the design. ...and pics once painted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/properpunc ... 381871298/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/properpunc ... 382533266/

As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: SOSAGE MACHINE

Postby Richard Coombs » 05 Apr 2012, 20:32

Bravo Les ...very nice stuff .
The Proff getting the second one is a lucky chap ( or chap-ess )

Looking forward to seeing them painted.

I had already promised myself that next Summer will be my "Sausage Machine Show" ...something I have yet to build . Seeing you do yours is extra incentive ..nice stuff .

March was a Month of working away from home ( 3 days of Punch ..but the rest other puppet work ) ...its nice to be back . Some house tidying and accounts this week ..followed by a Family get together at the weekend for my Dads Birthday ----but after that its back to Punch Puppet Building for me also .

I can hardly wait to get back into the workshop.

All the Best Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 10 Apr 2012, 17:28

Here they are fully assembled and painted.

....and more step-by-step pics on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/properpunc ... 421300882/
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 12 Apr 2012, 11:23

Oooh Lovely stuff Les .
They do look nice all painted up.

I especially like the dusting of black paint over the silver to bring out shading and definition.

Did you give the whole thing a coat of light varnish afterwards ? ...if you have some of that matt quick drying water based ( Wikes ? ) stuff , then it might be worth doing so-- my only reservation about silver spray paint is that it can rub off onto puppets clothing , even if the undercoat primer base was good .

Just a thought.

But superb stuff Bravo.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 12 Apr 2012, 15:16

Hi Richard,the plastic containers were given a roughening with steel wool to provide a better key for the painting. All done with aerosols, first a grey primer, then silver. It then looked very plain, too shiny, so alternated with matt black spray, and then back with the silver, until a balance was achieved, and hopefully an 'industrial' look to it. The shading and slightly textured look gives them a nice look of 'weighty-ness'.

Good point about the paint rubbing off, I'll have a check and see if it's a problem, possibly rubbing with a rag could remove some of the surplus. The inside of the containers are unpainted, so no paint will rub off there.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop