New Judy Costume

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Re: New Judy Costume

Postby Chris » 30 Jun 2012, 21:31

I think CvdC is just saying in "caring" ( Dame Edna-esque caring way) that we are again being Old Farts

Now you've got me worried Richard. If that is really what he meant then which one of us is the dead fart!
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 30 Jun 2012, 22:43

Caring? Moi? No my obscure humour has foiled me again.
It is just that I thought the chat was beginning to "sound" like the radio quiz show My Music.
Does that make me an old fart?
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 30 Jun 2012, 23:02

There you are James - see what complications your little pleasantry has caused! Poor CvdC has come over all obscure.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 30 Jun 2012, 23:11

"You wouldn't think it to look at (him)..but (he) was once a weak man... "
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 30 Jun 2012, 23:29

Richard I am ,sadly, in no position to call yourself and certainly James an old fart. Whereas Chris S ... But in future Chris when I start feeling a bit obscure I'll have a cup of tea and a lie down rather than muddy the waters of important and relevant discussion on somewhat obscure references to musical ditties.
And while I am in bed I'll keep both hands above the blankets by holding a copy of How to do successful Punch and Judy, to keep myself on topic, as it were.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 01 Jul 2012, 09:26

Too kind.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby James » 03 Jul 2012, 11:13

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. A fine mess you've got yourselves into.

Yes I meant Big 'Arted Arthur Askey, not G&S but never mind. I'm quite surprised Joe and others hadn't come across him, or the song before. And you all missed my set up for the joke. So let's try one more time, playmates!

I've got a head for silly little things...
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Professor Joe » 04 Jul 2012, 18:11

I know of Arthur Askey, and that song. But it's not on my Ipod.

Richard, I haven't yet finished the Judy costume as I havent found the right fabric for the apron and I ran out of the trimming, so I need to find some more of that. I should have bought a lot more when I got it.

I've just been making two other costumes for a routine that will go into the show hopefully by the time I perform in Weymouth at the Big Grin event there. last night I also racked up a first, of getting my finger caught by the needle on my sewing machine, a mistake I'll never make again!

I'm also designing the Punch costume I'll make when I have a spare few weeks, hopefully it'll be rather intricate.
Joe
My playboard isn't saggy, it just has a steep rake...
Professor Joe
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Richard Coombs » 05 Jul 2012, 21:58

Oooh Ouch !

Yep been there , done that ( when I was about 14 ..on a machine in the schools sewing department in the Home Economics block )

The needle can get to a certain point where the only way to get it to come 'up' again is to continue the full 'down' cycle first ( or on those ancient machines it was ..I don't think they had a 'reverse' switch back then)

Something Shakespearian sprang to mind at the time about ' being in so deep that going back were as hard as going forward .." ( well that was after some other language that was more 'Chaucerian' ..or at the very least Anglo Saxon )

I have not ever swallowed my swazzle ...nor do I ever intend to ...so I suppose this little 'needle' initiation is something we will have to share ( hardly the Red Indian Sun dance; but painful enough )

My Commiseration's

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 06 Jul 2012, 11:54

Having never swallowed your swazzle Richard, you can't use the 'joke' below.
Well, you could, if you were willing to bend the truth.

Interested person asks, "Do you ever swallow your swazzle?"
Reply, "Er, (pause) ...there's two answers to that.
...about once a year, ...and twenty four hours!"

The pause is to momentarily judge if this may cause offence to your enquirer.
It never has in my experience, but once or twice , with groups during a talk, I have 'lost my nerve'.
Mind your head, ...on that light fitting!!!!!
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 12 Jul 2012, 01:55

Danger is my middle name.
When making a costume I thought of this thread (pun intended, after I realised it was one of sorts) while the puppets looked back up at me, embarrassed by their nakedness .
It is that screw thing that holds the needle in place that gets me every time.
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Harvey » 14 Jan 2013, 10:54

When I made A costume for a mr punch I made i remember sewing it then it came apart so a glued the costume together it then became a model
The Young Professor http://www.harveyfun.webs.com at the age of 15
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Previous

Return to Punch Workshop