Glove Design

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Glove Design

Postby Doug Price » 12 Jul 2012, 09:10

I currently use the design where the the puppet arms and hands are up and on the sides.

I am looking for a pattern where the puppet arms and hands are more to the front of the glove.

Can anyone assist with diagrams if possible.
Doug Price
Weenie
Weenie

Re: Glove Design

Postby Nick Jackson » 12 Jul 2012, 10:07

It's simply a question of reducing the width of the front of the dress and expanding the back – this will bring the arms further round the front. Experiment with some scrap pieces until you get a shape you're comfortable with and that make a pattern. At least, that's what I do.
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 12 Jul 2012, 22:47

If you make a basic garment as you are already doing, then turn it inside out and reduce the front by folding in half longways and pinning about an inch in the fold. Turn it rightside again and you will have reduced the front by about two inches, thus dragging the arms forward. Try it - it will be two tight. adjust the pins until you get a good fit. Once you have the right size you can stitch down the line of pins, remove them, and cut off the surplus fold of cloth.

The puppet book written by Waldo Lanchester and published by Dryad Press had a pattern for this type of costume. You can still get second hand copies.

There is at least one American, one French, and one German book which have a whole selection of patterns for glove puppet costumes. Why not contact Ray DaSilva. He will know.
http://www.puppetbooks.co.uk
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Trevek » 13 Jul 2012, 16:19

I was once shown a technique by a French Guignol player where he made the puppet body as a tube and then simply cut slits in the front of the puppet and attached sleeves/arms (often leather tubes) to suit his fingers.

A problem I have found with some patterns for gloves is that the arms are sometimes raised and at a V. It is ok until there's a head, which gets obscured. Mind you, these are usually books for kids toys rather than serious puppetry books.
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 13 Jul 2012, 17:40

The solution for the hands in front of face is to give the puppets a longer neck.

Yes,In the past I've used the idea of slitting a tube of cloth and sewing on the sleeves. Some old Punch puppets were made this way. It's OK for a one off, if you are always going to use the puppet on the same hand - but you need a pattern if you are to make several. Also, because of the unnatural look this can only serve as an undergarment and needs a costume on top.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 17 Jul 2012, 17:19

OK Doug, here's a pattern for you.
I've scanned and uploaded full size, but in case your printout is another size you can check the scale if I tell you that neck to hem measures 10.25 ins or 261 mm. Give this a try.
ImageImage
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby BilBug » 03 Aug 2012, 03:17

You might want to look for the Lewis Mahlmann/Lettie Schubert glove puppet pattern. This has, as referred to above, a wider back (across the back of the puppeteer's hand) and narrower across the puppeteer's palm, giving a better fit and manipulation.
Bil Bug

We're all heroes in our own tale.
BilBug
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 03 Aug 2012, 11:48

As has the pattern shown.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Workshop