A PAIR TO FINISH?

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

A PAIR TO FINISH?

Postby lesclarke » 30 Dec 2012, 17:58

Nice to get Christmas out of the way, give the stomach a rest, and get back into some kind of a routine.
Hope everyone has had a good break.

Good to see more step-by-step pics of your 'makings' Richard, the latest head looks impressive, and 'very 3D'.

After quite a period of starting P&J heads and, for various resaons, not finishing them I decided to make a pair that would be finished, as heads and possibly even as full figures. I've always been attracted to the naive crudity of figures such as the Scottish Morrison family figures, and more recently by a pic of the figures of the American Prof Maurettus, so I have started a P&J pair 'influenced' by them, and for once I am looking forward to painting and adding hair etc.

Morrison pic first, then mine, then Maurettus, not the order i wanted but downloader didn't get on with the Maurettus!

Flickr link to the work so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/properpunc ... 296946770/
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: A PAIR TO FINISH?

Postby Richard Coombs » 30 Dec 2012, 18:35

Lovely stuff Les ..big bold and characterful ... and a wonderful inspiration to anyone currently working in ( or thinking of trying out) Paper mache .

Happy New Year to you ( a bit early true)

Lets see if either of us finish our puppets ...done some more to that head today, and also some costume work.

Best Wishes Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 30 Dec 2012, 19:57

Hi there Richard, all the best for 2013. ...so is your 'mystery figure' a 'speculative' project, in that you are 'trying something out', or do you have firm plans for the figure?

Perhaps the obvious resolution for next year is to 'finish what you have started before starting too many new things', then again, enjoying oneself is what it's all about. And we are working at a time when we certainly have 'never had it so good' as far as materials and equipment availability, plus of course access the visual history of Punch and contact with others to shape our ideas.

I enjoy PM, using layered or pulp methods, or as with this pair, a combination as they are both therapeutic activities, and I am still just so impressed how strong layered paper can become, and how pulp, starts out like porridge and ends up like concrete!

When I first started working with pulp, Chris' tip to smooth shapes with the back of a teaspoon was a great help, and the technique becomes sort of 'coaxing it around' and smoothing it so it bonds together, no sharp movements etc.

I have recently realised that I do most of my detailed modelling with 2 basic tools, the teaspoon is useful for smoothing larger areas, but by far my most used tool is a dentist tool, which is in effect a tiny spoon shape, thus allowing more detail, along with this I use a short section of an artist sized brush handle with each end rounded off. As shown in pics below.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 30 Dec 2012, 20:23

Oh she is a very definite character Les ..but the usage is speculative ( altho I should hear soon )
When I do I wil divulge her character .

Cant post anymore show and tell pics until then though , as now it is extremely obvious exactly who she is.
The costume is gonna be a beauty :-)

When I used PM to make heads I worked exactly the way your pics show...and yes my tool of choice was also a teaspoon ...there was one particular one in Mums kitchen drawer that seemed to have the perfect shaped handle.

PM is a wonderful medium , and yes can be hugely strong.

I look forward to seeing the finished results.
The big Croc you did earlier this year was awesome !

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop