My First Puppet

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

My First Puppet

Postby Harvey » 28 Jan 2013, 20:19

I know I am 14 but I gave it ago this is a doctor I made of clay I designed it so it can be any charcter you want
Last edited by Harvey on 25 Feb 2013, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Re: My First Puppet

Postby Harvey » 28 Jan 2013, 20:20

I have photos of it at different angles
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Richard Coombs » 28 Jan 2013, 22:10

Is that actually clay in the photo Harvey ? ...or did you do paper mache over the clay ?

Richard.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 28 Jan 2013, 23:33

Harvey, don't use the attachment facility for pictures. Much better to use the picture uploading facility that everyone else uses. If you look at the bottom of the editing screen, that is the place where you are writing your message, well if you look at the bottom you will see the words Add image to post in red letters. Click that and then upload your picture from wherever it is on your computer. This can be a big picture. A small version of it will appear underneath your message but people will be able to click the small version and be taken to another page to look at the big version. This is much neater than using the attachment facility. Also it has the advantage that the big picture is not using up my precious webspace since it is housed on another site.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 29 Jan 2013, 01:31

Here Harvey ....Ive copied your photo into my computer and done if for you.
You can use the 'edit' button on your post and go in and remove the pic from your posy and save Chris' memory storage .

I am glad you put the pic on using the wrong method ...as I now understand from Chris explanation that our photos (when uploaded properly) dont eat into his server memory ---so now I dont feel bad about posting as many photos as I do. So thanks for that .

Here is your Image :

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 29 Jan 2013, 12:32

Thanks Richard, I could have done that. I rather wanted Harvey to have a go. It's the best way to learn.

Actually don't be too worried about memory. This website is so heavy with pictures - literally thousands of them - that the amount of webspace I have had to buy is huge. It really is a bit late for me to start worrying. I know I mentioned it as a reason for not using "attach" - but the real reason was aesthetic. It isn't nice to have scroll bars within the message frame.

I do sometimes worry about bandwidth and this only when someone decides to download a lot of material. This has only only really been a problem when I put first put the videos online. Then my IP closed down the site because it was apparently endangering the whole server it was on. But it hasn't happened since. I suppose there must have been a frenzy of people downloading them for their collections. Of course in those days there weren't the plethora of Punch videos available on YouTube that we now find. Also nowadays nobody uploads their videos onto their own website (which is what I do) but they upload them to YouTube and simply embed a link on their own website.

Sorry, seem to have gone off topic.

Harvey's first puppet. I suppose it's a sign of the times but I find it surprising that Harvey's first attempt has waited until he is 14. I, and my contemporaries, were into making things from around 7 or 8. Certainly I was making puppets, but also crystal sets and marquetry and a wonderful tin-can overhead railway from my bedroom window to the midden. Now there's a word to savour. Anyone old enough to remember middens?
Of course we didn't have Game Boys and computers and mobile phones to distract us and therefore spent more time creating our own toys and amusement. Most boys around 10-11 were into simple mechanics and electrics and hammer and nails carpentry. Come to think of it, childhood then was a pretty good apprenticeship for puppetry.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 29 Jan 2013, 13:17

"Never site the Midden near the Well" ( or something like that ?)

Yes I agree Chris ...I think the electronic distractions now have meant a general demise in practical skills among the young .
Or as you say , much later starting on things.

I wouldn't swap my childhood for one now .
-your tin can railway reminded me . my brothers and I pooled our pocket money for a 50 yard spool of that thick white nylon thread , and rigged up a sort of cable car slide from the top bedroom window to the gatepost in the back yard.
Strung from this was a cardboard shoe-box with wire loops than ran over the double thread 'tracks'
Two strings came off the box ..one to haul it back up to the window..and a shorter one that pulled out a release pin in a hatch in the base of the box.
The purpose ?

To release the balloon water bomb of course.
And with an X chalked on the yard you had quite good accuracy with soaking each other.
that was our X-Box

I think an electrical X-Box would have prevented all this from happening.

Dont get me wrong , I love electrical gadgets. But had they been around when I was growing up , I dont know that I would be working with puppets now .
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 29 Jan 2013, 14:12

I think another thing was Mums at home. Few Mums with young children went out to work, they were fully occupied in the home bringing up the kids. They also did things like preparing meat and vegetables and cooking them. They also spent more time with kids. Thinking back, it was my Mum who taught me not only how to darn socks and turn up the hem on my jeans, but how to change a fuse and fit a plug. It was through attempting DIY jobs around the house that I learned about tools and adhesives and plaster and tap washers and drilling holes and so on. My Mum also made most of our clothes, or altered them as they were passed down. Thus I learned how to thread a needle, use a thimble, mark out a pattern and even use and service a sewing machine. And all this before I was old enough for secondary school. Little did anyone realise that all this jack-of-all-trades experience was providing the perfect skill set for a puppeteer.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 29 Jan 2013, 14:43

Again Chris I heartily echo all that.

My Mum very much did the same for me.

A Music teacher who was cross at my being in both his beloved School Choir AND the gang of kids who put on musicals and shows with one of the English Teachers ....once told me I was a "Jack of All Trades" and that nothing good would come of it until I decided what I really wanted to do.

Needless to say after that my interest in the Choir side of things diminished...but only really because my love of putting on shows was growing ( not because of what he had said ) ...far from it in fact .
He had intended the 'Jack of All Trades' dig as a put-down : whereas I took it as a huge compliment :-)

I think A puppeteer generally ..and a Punch Proff in Particular absolutely HAS to be a Jack of All Trades.

Long may we "Jacks" prosper !

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Harvey » 29 Jan 2013, 22:45

I have sorted the picture out
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Chris » 29 Jan 2013, 23:24

That's the way to do it!
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Harvey » 27 Feb 2013, 10:12

planning to make a clay and a wooden Joey the clown I have been looking around for some inspiration.
But first I am going to Practice on making a simple Puppet I was thinking a monkey. what do you guys (and girls) think.
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Harvey » 25 Mar 2013, 11:08

Doing a rehersal with him as the doctor Mr Punch hits him his head gets hit by the stick his face lands on the playboard and his nose falls off I relised I did not put enough glue on the nose area.
I then painted over it and it looked like a boxer so I am making a second boxer at the moment.
the good think about boxers if you make a mistake it won't matter because they need to look injured. so it looks realistic.
for example bryan clarkes boxers

and

Miraiker's Boxers (and others)

I'll add photos later should be painting soon.
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Harvey » 04 Apr 2013, 21:22

the other angles of the head are on my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79379317@N07/
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link