NIP, TUCK STITCH ETC.

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

NIP, TUCK STITCH ETC.

Postby lesclarke » 18 Mar 2013, 16:14

I sometimes fall into the old trap of thinking that my puppets look better when a little worn looking, they do seem to have more 'character' with a few knocks and grazes, but then it's only a small step to looking tatty.
More importantly real damage can get a hold on chins and noses once the grain is exposed.

So, a little refreshing was needed and having tried out using Milliput before at filling and protecting a few small vulnerable points I used it a bit more widely this time.

More pics at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/properpunc ... 027449986/

As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: NIP, TUCK STITCH ETC.

Postby Dan » 18 Mar 2013, 20:32

Great job Les!
Milliput is a fantastic strong filler or moulding material. Once mixed correctly and dried it can be drilled, screwed, cut, sanded and sets like stone. Definitely worth a play with. It also comes in various colours and prices. I was first shown it by animation puppet maker from The Wombles and Paddington Bear - yes its been around that long.

http://www.milliput.com/index.html
Dan
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Richard Coombs » 18 Mar 2013, 20:53

Lovely stuff Les

Exactly the sort of workshop pics I just love looking at.

Something very comforting about seeing other people doing all the stuff you do yourself ..a kind of validation that you are not as bonkers as some think you are ( or at least that you are in excellent company of other bonkers folk)

And just the right way of going about it ...one nice tantalising pic with a link to lots of others .

As our big nosed friend would say: "Thats the way to do it !"

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 18 Mar 2013, 21:50

I've been a fan of Milliput for a long time, it is very clean to work with, and can be smoothed with the fingers and small tools, and water helps in modelling and smoothing. I've used it in conjunction with some pulp papier mache work to add the finer detail. Yes, it sets like stone, the drawback being that for anything other than small scale use it would be very heavy. ...and very expensive.

Just one point worth mentioning, it does respond well to a drop of water, fingers or tools and brushes, can then get a smoother shape, but resist the temptation to pop the brush into your mouth! ..or is that only me?

I'm sure it covers this in the instructions, but years ago I found out that after a long session my tongue went a little numb! Also it can get engrained in your nails and finger tips, this is easily removed under hot water with a pan scrubber, but if you don't remove it, and touch 'sensitive areas', there can be a skin reaction.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 18 Mar 2013, 22:49

Fascinating pictures Les. I tend yo use the terracotta on most figures because when paint chips the white or grey underneath stares out very visibly. The terracotta shows but isn't so obvious.

Whilst a drop of water in a dish is useful for shaping/smoothing small and tiny jobs modelling under a running tap is much easier and cleaner for any bigger jobs. The slurry simply washes away.

I suppose I must have been the first to use Milliput for Punch figures.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop