hands in front

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

hands in front

Postby jimdevo » 27 Jan 2007, 22:14

Hello all,
I'd like to hear from those who use the hands in front method. At what height does one keep their elbows. I realise it's a matter of preference and that the overall height of the performer plays a big part, but I'm just curious if one's elbows might be more level with the shoulders or a bit lower. Or perhaps a bit higher than shoulder level if one were of a shorter height. Would a shorter performer use a step stool to stand on to give them the benefit of height in a taller booth while using the hands in front method? What do you think?
Thanks
Jim
P.S.
My email changed to jimdevo@tx.rr.com
jimdevo
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Richard Coombs » 29 Jan 2007, 12:34

Hello jimdevo ...I guess everyone that answers your post will say the same the same thing ..its all a matter of personal comfort and getting the best movement out of your puppets.

If you are buying a second hand booth , I would think it best to actually go and try-before-you -buy , taking some of your own puppets with you.

If the working height is wrong for you , even by an inch or so , it will mean unecessary back or shoulder strain. ( if you are very short and the prosc height is quite a few inches too high , this is actually less of a problem : build a wooden case to transport either your puppets , or the sound equipment and the canvas cover ..and stand on it inside the booth , so that the performing height is just right for you )

But as you are thinking of buiding your own theatre , then you can get the dimensions just right first go.

In my booths , I work hands in front , and my elbows are very slightly below shoulder height. .. The difference betwen this posisition , and level with shoulders , or worse, just above is huge for the amount of ache it puts across the top of my back....but again this is only my own personal take on it : others will swear blind it is easier to have the figures a bit higher . And they are right ..for them , with their puppets , in their booth it is exactly how it should be.

I stand on the floor in my indoor 'quick-up' booth for Parties , and on wooden cases in my outdoor canvass booth. My wooden 'permenant' leave-it there- for-a-season booth is also used with me stood on the floor.
But this year I plan to build a 'raised' plinth for it to sit on , raising it up to a more grand height fo the audience ( as the apearance of it is a bit 'squat'). But both me and the booth will be elevated , keeping the relativity to the playboard the same. In all 3 theatres , my workling height , position of exterior playboard , and inner props shelf , and the 'gap' through which the Crocodile etc. appears , all stay constant. So it feels the same whichever one I am performing in.

I would say getting the height right for yourself is crucial. But I wouldnt dream of giving a measurement , even if I knew your exact height. It is your own comfort , so 'How long is string of Sausages ?'

Good Luck with your building. Best Wishes Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 29 Jan 2007, 14:04

Let X = the length of a sausage
Let Y = the number of sausages
Then the length of the string is X multiplied by Y
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby jimdevo » 30 Jan 2007, 01:31

Thanks all for the answers and email that I got concerning this question. That's what I love about this forum.
Jim
jimdevo
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Prof. Frederick » 06 Feb 2007, 05:27

Just to add my two cents (pence?). I've been working hands in front of face for several decades. My playboard height is based on the distance from floor to just above my elbows when holding my upper arms straight out with my lower arms pointing straight up (as if there were puppets on them. This is not only comfortable (for me), but allows the puppets to manipulate props directly in front of me so I can see what I am doing, and what the audience is doing, through the scrim. You can see me standing on flat ground in front of my booth in the center photo on my website.

http://www.traditionalpuppetry.com

Prof. Frederick
Ossining, NY U.S.A.
Prof. Frederick
Weenie
Weenie

Return to Punch Workshop