PRIMITIVE, NAIVE, CRUDE... STYLE

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

PRIMITIVE, NAIVE, CRUDE... STYLE

Postby lesclarke » 26 Nov 2013, 13:44

As discussed in Richard's previous 'Policeman' posting it seems that figures with a Primitive/Naive character are popular with at least some of us. It would be interesting to hear other opinions, if others regard them differently, and would they ever consider using such figures?

They vary from the truly Primitive/Naive figures, to those made by someone with a more sophisticated 'eye' but who has a lower level of skill, and so produces basically what is a 'cruder' style of figure, with some Primitive/Naive quality to it.

I have only one Punch figure in my collection that has some of this quality.

As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: PRIMITIVE, NAIVE, CRUDE... STYLE

Postby Chris » 26 Nov 2013, 22:12

I'm afraid that doesn't hit the spot for me Les. Actually it looks quite slickly carved but characterless.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 27 Nov 2013, 11:23

It is a fairly small head, with a short rod to operate the head, and it appealed to me because as a style it is quite a way from the Wal Kent design.

I agree Chris that despite strong features, it does lack character. Sometimes it is just some 'little thing' that gives a figure real character.

Perhaps it falls into another category, 'grotesque' perhaps, or at least 'going in that direction.'
Unlike true Primitive/Naive style, figures in a Grotesque styled could be designed.
Leonardo Da Vinci used to sketch people in public with grotesque features, and then swap features about and make up new composite grotesque heads.

As with many figures, the maker was probably just making the best of what materials, and skill they had available.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 28 Nov 2013, 07:57

Another image from the web

It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 28 Nov 2013, 23:26

As with quite a few other Naive figures they both share a somewhat similar 'blank' expression, so not always effective for creating a figure with a distinctive personality, although the PC could in my view work as a 'humorless sod' type of character.

The PC I posted previously has a bit more personality, mainly down to the wide toothy grin, and I would cast him in the role of a 'slightly silly simpleton'.

lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 01 Dec 2013, 19:45

I think you hqve hit the nail on the head there Les .
when you say you would cast that policeman in the role of a simpleton,

If you can look at a puppet and know exactly how you want to voice it and give it characterisation: then the ,maker has done a good job .

It doesnt much matter if the style is crude or highly refined , if the puppet cries out to be performed then its a goodun in my book.

Agree with Chris also about that Punch , well carved, but it doesnt all seem to come together as a character.

Its often an intangeable something that makes a figure really come alive.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop