Framed in the nude and tethered.

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Framed in the nude and tethered.

Postby Chris » 01 Jun 2014, 21:05

These before and after pictures may be of interest to anyone building a frame. They also illustrate the very important point, not always appreciated by beginners, that the guy ropes should be fixed before the roundings are attached. Once the cover is on the fit-up becomes a box kite and a slight gust of wind can topple it and do a deal of damage. Heed my advice or learn the expensive way.

It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Framed in the nude and tethered.

Postby lesclarke » 04 Jun 2014, 18:37

Yes, and it is surprising how little wind it takes to blow over even a 'naked' frame. Remember that with the proscenium top and sides in place a frame is 'top-heavy'.

I learned the hard way, and being a bit slow I had to learn the same lesson twice, the second time I had judged that the wind was not strong enough to worry about, but hadn't reckoned with the fact that wind isn't always steady and then a sneaky gust did the damage!
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby martinpunch » 04 Jul 2014, 23:23

Lesson learnt, it was gusting today and I put the guys in after the canvass, I may have got away with it this time, as I had a helper holding it while I set it up.
I will take your advice on this as I won't be able to buy another fit up after this one. I am surprised that I have a fit up in the first place, but I am really enjoying all aspects -The building of everything, the puppet making ,even doing the curtains! But nothing was better than todays show and seeing the happy children getting memories of P&J, that will stay with them all their lifes. It is a priverlige to perform it and I hope I am worthy of shaking the dolls.
Kindest regards

Martin

That may not be the way to do it , but I'm here to learn
Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby martinpunch » 05 Jul 2014, 19:50

Boy it was soooo windy today, my PA could not cope with the wind blowing my sound away. Let alone nearly my fit-up. Lucky I had read this.

But I did find it 10 times harder with the wind gusting through. The top blew off my fit up and I had to do the show with the top half open

Plus some child came in the back halfway through and I lost connectio with the audiance. So I was not too happy about that.

I also did not set up in level ground - a big mistake I won't be repeating.

My 2nd show went better I cable-tied every thing in place.

I am posting to you-tube so if anyone wants a gander they can, but be gentle remember this is the first couple of goes at the whole thing with a full set up and genuine members of the general public rather than parties of friends.
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 05 Jul 2014, 20:12

Do you really think you should be uploading your early attempts onto youtube?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 06 Jul 2014, 07:45

Thanks Chris

I don't see the harm myself. life is a journey, and we've all got to start somewhere.

If I become so professional that I find it an embarrassment I can always take it down.

You're right in some way it all becames part of our persoanal indestructable trail that we leave on the web. But I have grown up in an age where that is totally unavoidable in anycase, So I may as well record me having fun even if it does not meet the grade.

Have a look - if you feel it embarrasses this site in anyway I will remove either the clip or referance to it from this site.
My first public show on a very windy day and the skeleton head came off
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 06 Jul 2014, 13:28

It's nothing about embarrassing this site - it's all to do with your pride and the reputation of Punch. Personally if I were learning to play a musical instrument I would not want to publicise my efforts until they were of a certain standard. You say of the video, on this site, "my first public show" but on YouTube the title is different, it says "Prof. Luffy's Punch and Judy". So you are calling yourself Prof which implies you are professional and anybody searching for Punch and Judy could get your video.
If I want to post a video so that friends and colleagues can look at, but which I do not feel of a standard to expose to the general public, then I post it on Youtube but only allow it to be viewed by those who are given the address but which won't come up on a Search. In that way it is there for friends to see, but doesn't expose my unfinished work to all and sundry.
No big deal, but something to consider.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 06 Jul 2014, 15:13

Thanks Chris
I may have mis-titled it a bit but I am not that worried really, as for the handle it is just a stage name as opposed to impliying any grade or qualification I think it important to me to have a separate Punchman identitiy right from the start. I don't see a bad side to this, do you think there is a malice in calling myself Prof.Luffy, because as I understand it the Prof. title is a joke based around the snake-oil salesmen of the wild west pretending sell a cure for all ills. (Sorry to state what you will already know, but you seem tobe implying that I am misleading and bringing Punch into disrepute). So how can a joke be trying to imply to the public that I am a professional?
I have not tagged the video so it should not appear in searches, but if people happen upon it then at least its an example of traditional Punch and Judy. My idea to share this video was to see if others have helpful tips that I could use. If I lock it down; then others reading this thread won't see it and won't be able to encourage/assist/critique. (If I have mistaken the purpose of this forum then I will remove it as I say).
As you see I was nearly blown away and my PA was really shaky. But you are correct the improvement of the performance will only come in time. I am not really planning this as a full-time career. I don't think I will ever get to the standard that some of the Punch and Judy persons on the web are. But the shows went well as far as the children were concerned and I think for me that is what is first objective. Perfecting the show is the goal and expanding the storylines so that the shows can be modified.
I look forward to further responses with interest.
Kind Regards

Martin
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby martinpunch » 06 Jul 2014, 15:22

I have searched YOUTUBE and I do not come up under a search of Punch and Judy or Punch and Judy Show.

There are all kinds of vids that do come up that are not P&J shows after the 7th page.
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 06 Jul 2014, 16:21

I assure you that you do come up, and on the first page. I have just searched for "prof punch and judy"
and this is a screen shot of the you tube page number 1

But that's hardly the point is it? You didn't upload it on Youtube in order for it not to be seen.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 06 Jul 2014, 16:35

Of course if you only search using Punch and judy then you'll be further down the results - you only posted it recently but you still come up on page 11 - along with many others.

It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 06 Jul 2014, 17:41

No i uploadef it for friend and family to see and of course you and the folks here. Is that bad?
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 06 Jul 2014, 17:53

No - didn't you read what I wrote? That's exactly what you should have done, uploaded it for friends and family to see, and anyone else you gave the link to, but not the whole world. Go back and read what I wrote.
By the way, I don't think Prof has anything to do with snake oil salesmen or the Wild West.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 06 Jul 2014, 17:58

Found it and put it to unlisted now. Didnt quite get what you meant sorry
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby martinpunch » 06 Jul 2014, 18:15

I have changed the setting now thanks. Sorry I misunderstood I thought you were saying I should not have posted it on youtube. I use youtube all the time and try not to get over hung up about privacy. But I can see what you are saying, I wonder where I read the snake-oil stuff I'll have a ratch around and start another thread if you don't mind?
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Next

Return to Punch Workshop