Framed in the nude and tethered.

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Re: Framed in the nude and tethered.

Postby Chris » 12 Jul 2014, 08:38

Concentrate on learning yourself Martin, rather than on posting videos. When you are expert you can think of what will help others.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 12 Jul 2014, 15:22

I brought your ebook and I think it does not show several things that might help others, such as how to tie the swazzle in detail. The picture and explanation of this is the same as the ones in the public domain, it does not reveal how taut the tape should be, how to achieve this tautness. This is only something that can be shown with a video. So it may help to make one. The ebook is a bit light on detail in this respect.
I am practicing my swazzling and show as well as looking at this. But it was suggested that I learn to retie the swazzle and there really seems to very little real information out there on this so sharing is not a bad thing to my mind. The chap above might like to see my efforts, not as an expert, but as a beginner like him
Kindest regards

Martin

That may not be the way to do it , but I'm here to learn
Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 12 Jul 2014, 19:52

I've only been in this 50 years and you've only had the ebook less than 24 hours and you've already decided it needs improving and that it needs a video and you're the one to do it? Strikes me as a touch arrogant?
A video might well be a good idea, but by someone who knows what they are doing I suggest. It's been done of course, Eric Sharp opened his Punch and Judy video with much detail on how to tie a swazzle. Personally I've found the written words and illustrations in most things to be better than video. Of course you have to read properly, and accept advice. If you just read and then go your own way you'll never progress much.
If you go back and read the ebook properly you will find a very great deal of detail that certainly isn't available public domain. I wrote it, and wrote the things I wished people had told me when I was trying to learn.
The ebook certainly doesn't tell you how taut the tape is - how could it? The tape tautness varies with the size of the swazzle, the type of tape, the amount of bow in the plates and the sound you prefer. Also probably with the day of the week and way the wind is blowing. That is why someone like Les who has made a great study of swazzles and swazzle tape has to tune and re-tune his swazzle. It isn't an exact science. Everyone finds their swazzles lose tone, and have to adjust and retune, and sometimes re-tie or make anew. It is trial and error which leads to confidence which is called experience. But that means doing it yourself, not talking about how others should do it for you.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 13 Jul 2014, 18:40

I dont question your credentials otherwise I would not have purchased it. I am not intending to video anything instructional. I am not arrogant i know nothing. As i said before life is a journey and my early attempts at things can help others help me correct what i am doing wrong and also show others what did or did not work. Any links to exsisting videos on this would be very interezting.i will re read your book a few more times I'm sure there is a lot more I can get from it. But i still cant wrap a swazzle and as this was pointed out as an area to work on i am interested in any info I can get on the subject. I have ordered some thinner tape. But i would prefer if someone could tell me a supplier that i can purchase it on line as the sending of cheques is a bit long winded really.
Thanks for your reply i dont mean to disparage you or your book I just need help with tieing the swazzles. The one i got from Mr Clark is sown in a very particular way. I wonder what the secret of doing this stitching is?
Kindest regards

Martin

That may not be the way to do it , but I'm here to learn
Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 29 Jul 2014, 13:32

It's all a question of reading. As I've mentioned several times there is a section called ANY QUESTIONS on the punchandjudy.com website. If you bother to read it you get answers to most things. For example there is the Question "What kind of tape do I need to make a swazzle and where can I buy it?"
http://www.punchandjudy.com/help/qa1-1.htm
Unfortunately to get the right stuff from Les you will have to go through the process of writing and sending a cheque which I know you find a chore
"But i would prefer if someone could tell me a supplier that i can purchase it on line as the sending of cheques is a bit long winded really."

If you really can't face that, then you will just have to use Google to search for a online haberdashery store that will supply half inch linen tape at the press of a button.

As for wrapping the tape around the swazzle, just follow the diagrams in the ebook. There is no special way, just wrap the thread round as shown. You can tie it off, or stitch it the end, as you wish. There is no special way. Everyone finds their own. If Bryan Clarke has his own way of doing it then you'll have to ask him. But there is no need to follow any particular person's method, the purpose of the thread is simply to hold the tape in position and stop it unwinding.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris T » 30 Jul 2014, 20:30

I thought I would drop in on this thread, as I bought Chris's ebook a few years back. I had done my best to try and master the swazzle, and for love or money could not get it to make any noise at all. The ebook was my salvation, and within a few hours of the following the instructions I had made my first proper punch vocal. I'm now proficient.

Anyway, the point of my post is please don't alter the book. It is fine as it is, and I would recommend it to anyone struggling with either making or using a swazzle (unedited that is!).
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Postby Chris » 30 Jul 2014, 21:02

Thanks Chris, glad you found the instructions a help.
I think you pinpoint the difference when you write
within a few hours of the following the instructions I had made my first proper punch vocal.

Nothing is gained by just reading about a skill, you have to devote the effort to try. You actually followed the instructions after reading, not just skimmed thrugh them and decided they were inadequate. You were prepared to devote the necessary hours, and they payed off. You now have an ability you will never lose. Well done.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Punch Workshop