Hi everyone,a bit about me and can I pick your brains please

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Re: Hi everyone,a bit about me and can I pick your brains pl

Postby martinpunch » 24 Jun 2014, 12:09

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment really :oops: But thank you for the page link.

I have manage to make a really nice Ghost/Skeleton for under a tenner today with an extendable neck. I am really looking forward to putting it in the show.

I am spending all my time practicing for my next gig and am already in trouble at for the amount of time I spend on this :D

I love reading the old scripts and watching all the shows on youtube for ideas.

I guess I will get a bit more experiance and then read what I should be (should have done) later.

I don't know if Thats the way to do it. But I am sure I'll find out :lol:
Kindest regards

Martin

That may not be the way to do it , but I'm here to learn
Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby johnstoate » 11 Aug 2014, 02:11

Oh, dear, - here we go again, - Somebody comes along with a serious desire to learn, What do they get??? - The usual vitriol. - You haven't read the site....etc.....etc...... etc..... Why bother with a ruddy swazzle anyway???? (Cat amongst pigeons!!) Whilst I fully agree that a show should include the swazzle. It should also be remembered that the swazzle was used as a method of amplification in the days before electronic systems by performers of the bigger outdoor shows. And many old-time practitioners never used it for various reasons. If, (Like me) you prefer a 'wordy' show, then a swazzle is a blessed nuisance, given our modern amplification systems. And totally unnessesary for children's parties. What matters is the continuation of the show in a proper form, - The diction should be precice and understandable, the action should be crisp and defined, The characters should be recognisable and the action should follow the traditional (That word again!) 'Modular' form. Whilst this site may be the best available for information about the show, I do feel that sometimes it is rather harsh in respect of potential 'Newbies' who perhaps don't 'Talk the talk' - but, how many 'Punchmen' actually 'Parley' these days??? - (And I don't mean 'Julian & Sandy' - I mean practically,) 'Questra Homis a varderin de madges, Te meio de letti !'. Can be a very usefull phrase!! - And yes, I DO chew wasps fer a hobby!!!
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 12 Aug 2014, 08:52

I reckon the 'amplification' of the swazzle was only ever a secondary benefit, the primary benefit being a truly unique sound that helps define the Punch character, and I wonder where you get your idea/information that 'many' old-time practitioners did not swazzle. Now that we have amplification it doesn't in any way follow that we should more easily discard one of the shows central elements.

There is no reason you can't have a 'wordy' show and still swazzle, simply give all the wordy bits to the other characters, I have always thought of Punch as a simple character, who believes that actions, especially involving a big stick, speak louder that words - and have more impact!

Can't understand why children should be denied the experience of a swazzled Punch for what may be their first experience of live theatre, and the sometimes 'scary' tones of Punch are a safe way to challenge young minds and build up the resilience needed in later life.

I still hold that 'It's all about the swazzle' and there is only one reason not to swazzle.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby martinpunch » 11 Apr 2015, 09:38

I wonder how Wendy is getting on with her quest to become a P&J woman after this time?
Putting a really polished show together is no mean feat. I am way off still but practicing hard and preparing to do a few free shows down in Southsea this summer with my new cast of puppets. I have also revisited my pa as I had some sound problems last time out. I am looking to go to the may fare this year and have a look around and hopefully get to have a chat with some folk and catch some shows. I wonder how many people come into the world of Punch and Judy late in life and go on to become regular profs? I suspect many arrive at the start of the journey but do not go on to do regular shows. I live in Southsea and there used to be a Punch and Judy on the pier when I was a lad, the pier is closed now, but plans are afoot to reopen. I dream to have a spot on there.
Kindest regards

Martin

That may not be the way to do it , but I'm here to learn
Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 11 Apr 2015, 10:22

Glad you are planning to come to the May Fayre - an invalauable chance to see a lot of different Punchmen, with a variety of shows, booths and approaches.
I don't know how many take up Punch in later life, but it is certainly true that many older Punchmen who have been part time entertainers alongside a conventional job become full time professionals when they retire.
By the way, it is generally better and much less confusing to start a new topic rather than revive a thread from a previous year.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Punch Workshop