Ring Out the Old , Ring In the New

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Ring Out the Old , Ring In the New

Postby Richard Coombs » 23 Dec 2014, 11:11

As George Harrison sang " Ring Out the Old , Ring In the New"
...or to put it another way:
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL PUNCH-FOLK OUT THERE :D

I Hope everyone has a Merry and Restful Christmas, and a Peaceful , but Busy 2015.

And as this message is in the "workshop' side of the board , not the more general "Punch Chat', this is my version of ringing out the old and ringing in the new.
Despite the fact the weather is actually still mild and dry here in Staffordshire , I could not face yet another day of building the new workshop/shed ....you can have too much of a good thing.
I will go back to that project after Christmas , hopefully refreshed by having had a break from it.

Yesterday I swapped screws and timber for fabric and thread .
Having decided a 'change is as good as a rest - the indoor sewing did indeed prove a lot of fun.
I am a great believer in doing the work you are in the mood for ..results are always faster and better this way.

Sometime in 2015 I am going to get my new crocodile made , this will mean a couple of extra sets of legs for the Mr Punch stunt doubles that have to exactly fit into its jaws.

The Croc ( already started some years back ) has different shaped jaws to my current Croc , meaning that I cannot use the existing Punch legs - they will not fit-
With these new parts of Punch definitly needing to be made , I thought I would use this opportunity to slightly re-work Mr Ps' whole costume.

As said before on this board , when you switch from using a painted backcloth to an all Black one , some aspects of the puppets colouring and costume may need rethinking.
Policemen in very dark blue are often re-costumed in a lighter blue to show up better , Devils with black cloaks are not the best idea etc etc .

And from the outset I have always had a great deal of black in the trimmings of Punches outfit.
There was black on the Mr Punch I made when I was nine years old - and on all versions since.
I like the look of the black bits , they are very striking against a painted cloth...but they do tend to recede a bit against a black backcloth .

So it is time for a change ( not something that comes easy to a stubborn Taurean like me)
But "Ringing in the New" I am switching to Green instead.

Here is a rough pin-together of the new look , next to my current Punch for comparison .

I particularly like switching back to a white ruff .
My new joey has an orangey/yellow ruff , so side by side there will be more of a contrast when Punch and Joey are together.

More to come in 2015 , although this will not be a fast completed project , it is more of a mid-range one to tinker with here and there .
There is to be a lot of hand sewn bead-work on the Hat and Hump and Waistcoat etc - so for now its a question of getting the individual parts made on the sewing machine , so that I have little hand sewing projects to take with me when working away from home on other jobs.
Also I find it good to have these self-contained sewing projects to do in between Punch shows on a long day at a venue.

But for now , let me finish as I started:
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY 2015 TO ALL :D
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Ring Out the Old , Ring In the New

Postby Richard Coombs » 23 Dec 2014, 19:12

Still just a "pin -together' ..but the waistcoat is underway and ready for a bit of beads / buttons

In fact today has been a bit of a 'production -line' , and all the waistcoats are done and ready for buttons and beads.

And if you need to ask why I need so many all the same , then I guess you have not seen my show ( and the Crocodile routine) in a while :-)

Once again MERRY CHRISTMAS to all on this Board.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 10 Feb 2015, 18:43

Still having a blast puppet making on wet days and work shed building on dry days.

Best wishes to anyone else on here doing a bit of Winter Renovation or Rebuilding to their Punch puppets !
Richard

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 26 Mar 2015, 20:18

Well its the end of March now.
Never known this board with so few postings :-(

Had to do some speedy building today ...dont have a lot of spare time right now.
But needed some feet for Joey

...yep Joey ...

Not Punch.

Question:
When does a Joey the clown need feet ?
Answer: When he is dressing up and pretending to be Mr Punch of course ( doh !)

How else is he going to sit about on the play board ?

Built these super fast ...so nice not to do Mr Punch Feet ( which I have made exact duplicates of over and over , and am going to need to do more in a few months)

These were total 'one-offs' , that will never need exact copies making : so I could cut into the timber with abandon- and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it !.

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 27 Mar 2015, 14:08

You have got some nice shapes there Richard, interesting that you didn't have much time.
Sometimes things go better when you don't have too much time to think.

I sometimes look back on a piece of work, and briefly consider why it went particularly well or never went well at all, and got bogged down.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 27 Mar 2015, 19:07

Small late edit, replace 'too much time to think', with ... too much time to 'overthink' things, and so 'overwork' things.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop