Sound System Sorted!

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Sound System Sorted!

Postby martinpunch » 05 Jul 2015, 15:58

Hi all

Just a heads up on sound systems for beginners and those doing small shows.

I brought the Pyle-Pro PWMA80UFM 100 W Portable PA System With Included Wireless Lavalier Microphone, FM Radio, MP3/USB/SD, and Aux-In/Out
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyle-Pro-PWMA80UFM-Portable-Included-Microphone/dp/B0071VOUHA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FGKT7B32QRHFDWYCKGK

Which caused me lots of problems last year. The input on the radio pack was intermittant and the sound not really LOUD enough, so I can only recommend it for enclosed space use. If you do buy one I would recommend you really give it a good workout before ever using it in a show. Do this in the time you have to send it back, I think the quality control is a bit iffy so, yolu need to make sure you got a good one. Luckily I am a dab hand with the soldering Iron and have replaced the input jack with a better quality one.

I also found a broken Roland Micro Cube GX Guitar Amplifier Black http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roland-Micro-Guitar-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00DKT0Q70/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=17F58GXHJRCHCA8Q6M9A

Which I replaced the speaker in and now I have fed from the PA via its out put jack to the line in on the guitar amp and the sound is now great apart from the very directional microphone. I am replacing this before my next show on Friday with an omnidirectional one, which will not reuire me to speak every word straight down the microphone.

I will update this if the new mic works well.

But I am relieved that I have improved the sound and can concentrate of the delivery of the puppetering itself.

I would get a professioanal setup but I do like the homespuness and the battery operation of all the kit I have. I was able to my my show on friday from the scorching heat to a nice shady corner due to the fact I didnt require mains power for the show - which was good not only for me but also for the children as the playground was baking hot. Whereas our little shady corner was time out from the heat of the day and a place of fun and relaxation.

Break a slapstick for me!
Kindest regards

Martin

That may not be the way to do it , but I'm here to learn
Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Re: Sound System Sorted!

Postby Chris » 06 Jul 2015, 12:14

While it is interesting to learn of your adventures I certainly wouldn't advise buying a poor product and then adapting it. It may well be fun to do this if, as you say, you are a dab hand with the soldering iron,but since good, cheap, portable mains/battery PAs are so plentiful these days I would have thought constructional abilities devoted to puppets and fit up a better proposition.
As far as microphones are concerned, I think an omni directional one is the worst choice and will almost certainly lead to feedback problems and therefore loss of potential volume.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 06 Jul 2015, 15:42

Thanks Chris.

I will try the omnidirectional one, if I do get feedback issues then I will report back.

I think its difficult these days to predict what is going to turn out to be a poor product unless you from day 1 step up to a pro system. All of the cheap one tend to be of simular contruction and feel. And the price tag gap for radio link for an amature to a pro system is HUGE. So whilst I had problems with an input jack that played up afer a short amount of time, I was very pleased and impressed with how well the radio link worked on a £39 system. The puppet construction is something I have to admit I am not great at, so I, to my shame continue to farm out to others various stages of constuction and have been lucky to have found some one to help withthe sewing too now. so they will shortly one by one be getting redressed properly. I am obviously concetrating on puppet rehausals and devoting my energy to getting the show to run smoothly whilst tinkering with things to help this.
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 06 Jul 2015, 18:07

I will try the omnidirectional one, if I do get feedback issues then I will report back.

Of course you will get feedback issues with an omnidirectional mike. You will be working in close proximity to speaker. That's why cardioid mikes are produced. You can of course get away with an omnidirectional model with very careful positioning, and with a lower volume. You sacrifice an great deal yet gain no advantage for solo use.

I agree you can't always tell from a catalogue description how well an amp will perform - that is why it is good to seek advice from others. There's quite a bit been on this site about sound systems and I've certainly written about both microphones and loudspeakers.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 07 Jul 2015, 19:15

I did read the bit in the sound system on the profs tips, is there perhaps more that I've missed?
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 07 Jul 2015, 22:16

Yes, lots.
For starters, look up to your right, scroll up to the banner. See the word Search. Click it and in the keyword search box enter the word amp
That might bring up something?

You could try other keywords, like speaker or microphone perhaps. You could also search in other sections other than Punch Workshop - there may be something in Punch chat perhaps? I know the late Tony James posted on the subject, as did Les Clarke, Chris van der Craat and others.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 08 Jul 2015, 11:50

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1130&p=8890&hilit=ampLIFIER#p8890

Yes, as Chris suggested, this link 'AMPLIFICATION' also includes my preferred way of sorting your sound with SEPARATES. Just checked at HENRY'S and the small vehicle PA amps by Eagle/Adastra and Toa are still available.

Also just found that the Azden WM Pro radio mic, I have mainly used for 15 years is still available, I couldn't find them when searched a few years back. It is designed for vid cams, fits in nicely with a small 12v amp, and can be used with a headband mic. Not as robust as proper pro kit, but well made, been very reliable for me. It's cheaper than pro kit, and better made than the really budget radio mics.

Also found the BOYA-WM5 looks very similar concept to the Azden, but 2xAAA not 2x9v batts, and more affordable.

Reviews of both are on Youtube if you search.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby martinpunch » 10 Jul 2015, 00:06

Thank you to both Chris and Les.

I read the articles and take them on board.

What I am getting is that maybe I have stuff that works I now have a good radio link and enough volume, what I am lacking is getting experience in how to use the microphone in a way that valences out the loud sound of the swazzle to the level of my spoken voice.

This is because I mainly rehurse without amplification, I think that needs to change or I need a lot more shows!

I will strive to do both, I'm sure that's the way to go it!
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 10 Jul 2015, 13:22

This is because I mainly rehearse without amplification

I really can't see your problem. Surely whether you speak through a microphone or not the relative loudness of the swazzle to your voice is exactly the same. If the microphone doubles the volume of the swazzle then it is also doubling the volume of your voice?
The purpose of amplification is not, as you suggest, "to balance out the loud sound of the swazzle to the level of your spoken voice" If there is a great discrepancy there then all you need to do is speak louder.
Of course on the occasions when you really shriek with the swazzle, just as if you shout with your own voice, you can always turn away slightly from the mike. Of course this isn't so easy if you are using a headband mike - but then I don't recommend them anyway since I fail to see the point of them for Punch work.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby martinpunch » 10 Jul 2015, 20:58

Yes that's true I guess the swazzle sounds louder to me but isn't I have played back a vid of the last show and the swazzle is much quieter. I guess because I was moving my mouth away from the Mic when squawking.

I only started doing this whe I added the extra amp, which have me the idea that the squawking would be too loud - but it isn't on the vid- it is not loud enough

You live and learn
Kindest regards

Martin

Sun
martinpunch
Beefy
Beefy

Return to Punch Workshop