Wooden Booth

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Wooden Booth

Postby Harvey » 19 Jul 2016, 21:47

I am planning to embark on a project of building a fully wooden booth (like Mark Poulton's one at Weymouth)

Just asking for some hints and tips.

Thank You
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Re: Wooden Booth

Postby Professor Joe » 19 Jul 2016, 22:31

Harvey, unless you're working a beach pitch, there is no need to have a booth like Mark's - in fact, I'm using my portable booth this season on the beach.

It's better to perfect your portable booth, then if in the future you get a full season somewhere, then look at building a wooden booth.
My playboard isn't saggy, it just has a steep rake...
Professor Joe
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 25 Jul 2016, 12:35

It all depends on what Prof Joe means by a portable booth, and how portable you want it. But if he means a George Blake type lazy-tongs folding booth (or one of its variants) then I agree that is the best for outdoor use in almost any situation, and one that can also be used indoors. It's one disadvantage outdoors is that it is not easy to secure if you are on hard standing, but on grass or sand it is perfect. Indoors its disadvantage is that it takes longer to erect than other indoor designs.
If by portable you mean a Tozer panel folding booth, such as those designed by Eric Sharpe, then while these can be used outdoors and can be pegged down on sand or grass without problem, they have the disadvantage that the cover is attached permanently to the panels. If the booth gets wet then you have to re-erect it at home and leave it up until it dries. With the George Blake booth the tilt (cover) can be slung in the spin drier or hung out on the line.
The sort of semi permanent seasonal booth that Mark Poulton might build for his Weymouth pitch or Richard for The Heights of Abraham are specially built for the needs of a particular location, and take into account the length of time they will be in situe, the sort of weather they suffer and the transport and labour they have available. Most important, I would have thought, such projects require not a little financial outlay and a great deal of experience and skill.
So I am agreeing with Prof Joe that probably your time and effort would be better spent on perhaps a more portable and versatile design.
My thoughts:
The best booth for all purpose work (if you haven't got a car and have to use taxi or public transport) is definitely the George Blake lazy tong booth or variant.
If you have got a car or van then:
If you are limited to a single booth then the best booth for all purpose work is the George Blake lazy tong booth or variant.
The most secure portable outdoor booth for hard standing is the Eric Sharp Outdoor Booth. It can also be used on grass or sand. If on a hard surface then it does need the car to be parked alongside.
The best booth for indoor work is the Tozer (Eric Sharp) folding panel booth or variant.
If you have all the rest then it is nice to have a painted plywood Garden Shed type booth with a lockable backdoor for the occasional jobs which justify the effort. Rhyl's Prof. Green (who was a skilled carpenter) used one such as his indoor booth for general party work. It took him 5 journeys from the car to carry in his equipment. He justified it to be by saying that at some of the parties he performed at he liked to lock himself inside the booth to avoid the children!
Now why does that remnd me of Hide-de-Hi?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 25 Jul 2016, 13:59

It just strikes me that if Harvey is serious about building a wooden booth then he might like to get in touch with Richard who keeps copious photographic records of each stage of construction of his own work. He might well be able to offer helpful information.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Harvey » 25 Jul 2016, 21:53

Hello I have looked at Richards Photos of Booth.
The reason I want to use a wooden booth is because I do a music festival regularly and last year I had people brake in and nick stuff I was there and I am not the best and standing up for myself so I would like one I can lock.
I am also hoping to do a beach show.
The Young Professor http://www.professor-harvo.xbuild.com at the age of 18
Harvey
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Chris » 25 Jul 2016, 23:04

Surely to land yourself with the expense of a generally unsuitable booth for one event, or rather because of an incident that once happened at an event, is not the most sensible. If the stuff left in booth is liable to be nicked when unattended then remove it from the booth and lock it in the car. Most of us do that anyway.
Also, to be honest Harvey, if I were as seriously worried about a particular event as you appear to be, then I wouldn't be thinking about a vandal proof booth but I just wouldn't accept the booking.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Workshop