Tickneresque

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Tickneresque

Postby CvdC » 11 Apr 2007, 06:13

This is the result of my experiment reproducing a Fred Tickner Punch.
The puppet is a bit larger than I would like to use. I was using measuremets given to me by the person who sold it recently on ebay (I emailed him and asked for them.) It weighs a pound or 50 grams.
It has practical legs.
In profile the eye does look a bit Egyptian. This is because the head hasn't been turned around enough and also I may have rounded it a bit too much. Now that's something to be aware of.
What do you think David?

Last edited by CvdC on 11 Apr 2007, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Apr 2007, 10:56

Very much more pleasing than your Cruikshank Punch Chris, but personally I'd rather see a van der Craat Punch.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby CvdC » 11 Apr 2007, 11:19

I'm getting there Chris. I am still learning.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Apr 2007, 12:56

Yes I'm sure you are Chris, and it shows. Your carving has improved a lot (albeit disguised by your stubborn approach to painting). But I'm sure that you would get there a lot faster if you could be inspired by Tickner, or any other style you warm to, rather than trying to copy them. My heart sank when I read:
[img]I%20was%20using%20measuremets%20given%20to%20me%20by%20the%20person%20who%20sold%20it%20recently%20on%20ebay%20(I%20emailed%20him%20and%20asked%20for%20them.)%20It%20weighs%20a%20pound%20or%2050%20grams.[/img]
To me that misses the point. Although I must admit it is progress to measure an actual puppet rather than scaling up cartoon drawing.
If you want to learn from Tickner you must look at a lot of Tickners, and then create in the style of, rather than centimetre by centimetre copy one particular head.
Perhaps that was what David was getting at when he suggested you take a tip from young Christtian (sorry, I'm sure that spelling's wrong).

But all this is not to say you haven't made a nice puppet - you have. But with all your enthusiasm you could be doing more.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 11 Apr 2007, 13:36

At the risk of being misunderstood, (Again) To me it is a fine Punch. As for the style, It has always been my view that like all things artistic, Punches should be individual to their creator. If one uses a particular style of carving or painting, surely that is what defines the doll. How else would you recognise say, a Styles, or a Sessions? - And as to the weight, to me this is always a consideration, especially if working 'overhead', I don't fancy doing a 40 minute show with a Punch that's too heavy!
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 11 Apr 2007, 14:27

I don't fancy doing a 40 minute Punch and Judy show at all.

A Styles Punch? Perhaps you mean Teddy Corden. I've not heard of Sessions, who is he? A maker?
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 11 Apr 2007, 15:24

Perhaps you should try it sometime-It might help with the book! - As to the makers I mentioned, their only importance was as examples. No other inference was, or should be, implied. There is a much broader subject here, One which may well be of interest,(And use!) to a wider audience! :)
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 11 Apr 2007, 17:46

The book will come along eventually, as and when I've spoken to enough people. It's more others thoughts on the subject rather than mine, which is probably a good thing.

I think you're probably in the minority with a fourty minute show, I can only think of two others performers doing that length, although if it is a busking pitch like Morris Millband (Codman) in Llandudno then it is understandable. Although I'd hope your show was rather more entertaining!

You didn't answer my question. Who is Sessions? Or was it just a name plucked from the ether to illustrate as an example, if so appologies. You do know that Styles doesn't have make his figures though?
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 11 Apr 2007, 18:00

Sorry, I will confess to a slight bloomer when I used Styles, I was thinking of a picture I saw once of John Styles with his collection of Punches. As for Sessions, he's a chap I met about 25 years or so ago on an agricultural Show gig who showed me a selection of Punches he had made, They were very nice, but well outside my budget! I can't actually remember his first name, Tom, I think,but I've seen a few of his figures about, they are noticeable because in profile the chin & nose almost form a semi-circle,(Or would, if one carried the line of them on) and have carved wall-eye. :oops:
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop