DRINK UP LADS ...AND LADIES

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

DRINK UP LADS ...AND LADIES

Postby lesclarke » 08 Jun 2007, 20:05

In the posts on fabric Chris made a reference to dehydration, and I remembered that due to a coolish start to the season I've noticed I've got out of the habit of drinking my water. After couple of events recently on packing I've noticed it's hardly been touched.

After a busy 3 days over the bank hols I noticed a sign of dehydration, (early morning urine rather dark colour) and lacked energy for a few days.

The point about dehydration is that by the time you are thirsty, or have any other symptoms it is already too late, as in certain conditions the body can lose liquids at a much faster rate than it can absorb it. Just swallowing it won't help, it has to be properly absorbed which takes time.

So I intend to get back into the habit, so I 'll be ready for all this hot weather that's coming.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 09 Jun 2007, 09:00

I understand that R.C. is building a saline drip apparatus into his new booth. The plastic tubing used for connection to camping gas cooker cylinders is available by the metre from camping supply shops. A special stand is not required since the delivery pack will be suspended high in the booth to allow a gravity feed. The saline packs are best bought in bulk and your local chemist will probably prove most helpful. Obviously they won't carry these in stock but can usually order them for delivery next day. The line-in needs to be done professionally and initially you should contact your surgery practice nurse. Remember that this needs to be kept scrupulously clean if infection is to be avoided. The line-in should be on your "Punch" hand since the puppet stays in place throughout the show, whereas the other hand with its frequent need to go in and out of sleeves would run the danger of twisting the tubing or accidentally disconnecting.
Perhaps we can hope for a photograph, or working drawing, when the arrangement has been perfected?

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 09 Jun 2007, 19:00

6.50 pm
A bit of co-incidence Les picking up on the dehydration thing last night since judging from my experience at a Warrington outdoor event today must have proved the hottest day of the year. Even the kids were complaining at the heat and I had to remove my dressing gown and multiple turbans and work in shirt sleeves. To give you an idea - I bought a carton of Costa coffee at 1.30pm on my journey there, only drinking half of it and leaving it in the drinks holder. When I got back in my car at 5pm to head home that coffee was still piping hot!

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 09 Jun 2007, 19:26

Another little, well OK 'almost' a coincidence I was not far from you Chris today, next town along - in WIDNES, on the Prom, so in the same bit of sunshine. It was one of those days when it doesn't feel blazingly hot, but it's a bit humid and you can tell it's affecting you as you slow really down, and the show takes a real effort. Bit of a break in that only 2 shows.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 09 Jun 2007, 22:42

And I was up in Lancashire and it was a scorcher up there too. Let's see what Sunday brings.

Les, it's worth repeating that water on its own is, as you say, insufficient. To really counter the heat effects use rehydration salts which come, usually flavoured, in sachets at chemists or supermarket chemist's sections.

Mixed into water they have a very rapid effect. If you've ever found yourself at the end of a performance sliding to the floor of the frame (and you're sober!!!) that's often the effect of dehydration.

And it was hot enough this afternoon for me to mix one and feel remarkably improved a few minutes later.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Professor Eek » 10 Jun 2007, 01:13

Not much different down south chaps - very 'muggy' and a change of shirt needed between each show.

I didn't have a change of shirt mind you - I just needed to change it.
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Tony James » 10 Jun 2007, 06:41

Must have been hotter up North - I went through three yesterday. A touch cooler this morning at 6 a.m.

Chris. Warrinton. I wonder if this two day event you're at is where the Racing Pigs are showing today. We had them Saturday and they were very popular.

It's a new venture this season for Rebbecca Fosset but if it crosses your mind to swop swazzle for pigs think again! The paperwork, inspections and all just to be allowed to move the things on and off site. And the cost of inspectors all the way.

Puts the fees into perspective.

Hope you don't melt today.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 10 Jun 2007, 09:24

Who said anything about a two day event?
And I never appear alongside pigs.

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Professor Eek » 10 Jun 2007, 09:49

I never appear alongside pigs

A great tag line there which should be included in all promotional material

:roll:
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Richard Coombs » 10 Jun 2007, 10:10

Looking back at some of the things I have appeared alongside in May...I think Pigs might be an improvement !

Oh Chris ....I have scraped the saline drip arrangement ...too fiddly to set up , even for me. I have now reverted to a simple arrangement of using guttering around my new Umbrella device- connected via a downpipe ( painted red and white stripe like a barbers pole ) to a small waterbut inside the rear of the booth.

This provides adequate fresh drinking water , as well as making a convienient stand for one of those natty liitle Coomber Amps that some folk seem to favour.

( I dont actually use the Amp ...it's just there as a back up in case my Cumbersome and bulky Adastra ever blows a fuse).

:-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 10 Jun 2007, 10:37

But Richard, Mr James tells us that fresh water is no good. You'll have to find some way of delivering a measured dose of salts.

I think this must all be the result of climate change. For the first thirty or so years of my life we managed with the occasional cup of tea, he odd beer, and maybe a jug of water on the table at meal times if you were posh. And you never heard of dehydration except when visiting foreign climes.

But now the problem must be rife. We have Les examining his morning urine for early signs, Tony James mixing chemical prophylactics between shows and the bulk of the population walking around with a bottle of life-saving water in their left hands (or right hands if the mobile phone is being used in the left). Those slightly less paranoid may appear empty handed - but you may notice a bottle peeping out of their back trouser pocket.

Actually I don't believe it is climate change, I believe it is all the fault of the drink driving laws. These have sadly diminished the nation's liquid intake and that is why so many crashes are now caused by dehydration. I was taught from an early age that to maintain health the average man should drink around eight pints per day. I managed this without difficulty for around forty years, until I became alcoholic.

Incidentally the Les P test isn't infallible. I have discovered that a surfeit of beetroot can give a false positive.

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 10 Jun 2007, 20:08

'Lo all, - just got back from two scorchin' days in Cheshire! Even the mat was melting! - No, only kidding, but it felt like it should have been. Just looking over these last few postings, a casual observer might be forgiven for thinking that we're all mad, and water obsessed! Mind you, Chris' post about pigs brought this one to mind, seems to fit. "You can tell a man who boozes, By the company he chooses, And the little pig got up, and walked away". And on that note, it's me for the shower!
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 10 Jun 2007, 21:15

I must have been more tired (or dehydrated) yesterday than I realised. there was a two day event at Warrington and for some reason I naturally thought that's where you were.

These were very up market pigs Chris. A pair each of Gloucester old Spots, Wessex saddlebacks and Tamworths - and the Tamworths were stunningly beautiful. if, of course, you're into pigs.

Pigs are the most intelligent of animals and can be taught faster than a dog. Or a chimp.

The sweating heat of today has given way here to torrential rain - similar to that which I came through on the way home around the Bolton area.

But good turnouts again today and no need for the old dehydration salts. They're not a fad. The Doctor supplied my first. They're essential if the fluid intake is to 'stick' within the body - otherwise it just goes straight through and you flush it out.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 10 Jun 2007, 21:49

I remember drinking water with lemony-flavoured salty type stuff when I worked as a student on a glass-making production line. It was so hot we worked 15 mins on one job, then 15 mins on a slightly cooler job, then 30 mins off recovering.
We were making half-pint dimpled beer mugs.
It was tasty stuff and more palatable in large amounts than sweet fruit squash type stuff.
I may well try some, cos my problem is that I find drinking plain water a bit of a chore, and fruit squash too sweet.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 10 Jun 2007, 21:55

Sticky water? That's a bit of a fanciful idea Tony. The actual reason why athletes or others doing very heavy work in extremely hot conditions may need rehydration salts is because we loose salt along with moisture when we sweat. If we drink great quantities of water to compensate it further dilutes the remaining salts in the body thus making the situation worse.

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Next

Return to Punch Workshop