Amplification

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Amplification

Postby Morris » 04 Jul 2007, 15:28

I'm thinking of adding a speaker of some kind to my booth, wondering what sort of systems people are using for amplification.
The Other Morrisman
Morris
Beefy
Beefy

Postby johnstoate » 04 Jul 2007, 17:28

Geoff Felix has a nice little setup Morris, It's in the 'Felix fit-up' in practical Punch, fancy one myself, but with a 12volt motorbike/alarm battery so it's rechargeable rather than the dry-cell setup he uses.My own amp is ex-navy, 24v.dc./240vac. or110vdc with twin power horns-good, but heavy!(15kg.+)
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

amps

Postby Trev » 04 Jul 2007, 18:05

On occasion I was known to plug into the DJ's set-up!
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Professor Eek » 04 Jul 2007, 20:02

I have a small, light (weight - not colour) buskers amp which can run with or without mains supply
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Tony James » 04 Jul 2007, 23:55

Morris

Everything depends on the type of work you are going to do. If it's mainly indoor jobs and if you are also doing something else - magic, singing or some other activity which needs amplification then you might take a look at Coomber. They're Worcester based and their unit is made for schools so it's rugged.

The advantage of Coomber - apart from so many children's entertainers having one because they work so well - is that you choose what elements they build into it.

A standard version is a speaker/amp in a box. mains powered, inputs for several mikes, plus inputs for a cd/tape and various outputs.

Now you can add whatever you want from their wish list. Radio receiver for radio mike, cd or tape (I think they're still offering tape), rechargeable battery power option and so on.

Unless you're going to do a lot of outside work I wouldn't have the inbuilt batteries. They add to the weight and for the odd time you'd use them (assuming it would be the odd time) you would be better off taking a separate 12 volt power station and plugging into that.

It's probably one of the best all in one box jobs on the market and their after service is excellent. that's why so many of us have one though these days I use mine only at smaller events.

For large noisy showgrounds I use a big Mipro, similar all in one enclosure but it packs a much higher output, is weatherproof and is tailored more specifically to the outdoor entertainer. Whereas the Coomber is really intended as a portable around the school job. And we entertainers happened to find it worked for us too.

Decide what your objectives and requirements are and then start looking at the options available. Your needs may be quite different to other people's.

If all that makes sense.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop