Heads other than wood and Fillers

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Heads other than wood and Fillers

Postby Tony James » 14 Nov 2007, 16:01

Playing around with an idea using glove puppets though not Punch.

John suggested dolls heads as a suitable source for attractive female heads. They will be hollow and possibly plastic. I've also some rigid plastic 'shell' animal bodies I want to use which look excellent but are very obviously vulnerable to pressure and cracking.

I imagine that polyurethane foam filler which expands into spaces and becomes rigid would fill and protect from the inside against impact. Has anyone any experience of this usage?

Back in the 60s I sold materials to the rigid foam industry. Frankly the chemicals involved scared me and sure enough, in time the people I knew began dying. The foam gave off noxious fumes and gasses during the processes and continued to give them off whenever the end product was exposed to the atmosphere. They were reckoned only marginally safe in a totally sealed situation. So they were supplied in sheets as a wafer with a sealed board either side. The edges had to be sealed too. Crack the sealing and out came the fumes.

It still concerns me and I won't have the stuff in aerosols used by builders in this place of mine.

Anyone any views?
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 14 Nov 2007, 16:27

Yes Tony - my Punch Set were polyurethane foam filled 40 years ago. No breakages to date. I've only been to doctors twice in the same period despite the noxious fumes and gases.

But since you won't have the stuff in the place you'll have to find an alternative technique.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Tony James » 14 Nov 2007, 18:31

Being serious Chris, I wasn't jesting. I don't know if or how the material has changed over the years - hence my question - but it was hellish carcinogenic back then. Of course it was deemed perfectly safe if unpleasant - till people started dying.

Are my concerns unfounded? That's what I was trying to establish.

It seems to have done you no harm, assuming you always had a short fuse and a somewhat waspish and occasionally acerbic sense of humour.

Please don't tell me that if I would only read the site I'd see where you had said your figures are papier mache and foam filled. Am I right? Something at the back of my mind tells me you've talked about this somewhere.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 15 Nov 2007, 00:06

I regularly fill heads with foam from an aerosol, and did so last night. The da Silva company and Presto Puppets also used/use the technique. As fas as I know they are, and indeed I am, still alive and kicking!
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Tony James » 15 Nov 2007, 00:07

I am much relieved to hear that.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 15 Nov 2007, 00:11