I have been making puppets

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

I have been making puppets

Postby CvdC » 20 Dec 2007, 04:03

http://users.tpg.com.au/cvdc/whatsit/allpuppets.htm

I have put together a photographic archive of the Punch and Judy puppets I have made these last few years. It's not yet complete but there are most of the puppets I have made.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 20 Dec 2007, 15:51

Wow!! - Superb stuff, Chris. I, (For one) am most impressed. The only reservation I have with your excellent pictures is the absence of an indication of scale, The inclusion of a ruler, or known size object would, (To my mind, -It's only a personal observation) be usefull. Allowing that they could be either 'Parlour' or 'Show' size. - If I ever hit the lottery I will be in touch - I'd love to own a set!! :D
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 20 Dec 2007, 22:10

I am just so organised now. If you ever think making puppets is hard try putting together a web page with all those images.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 21 Dec 2007, 00:55

It's great to see all your output in one place Chris, and very useful to be able to open up several images at the same time and compare the style.

Overall there's a clear respect for the tradition whilst still having an identifiable personal look to them.

I especially like the first Judy on the lower row with the extra-extra-long nose, and the Piccini furry Devil.

For makers, especially carvers in wood, there's the amazing thought that in the distant future these characters, repainted and costumed, will still be 'coming alive' to future generations.

Without checking, I seem to think that Wal Kent only started his making when he was aged 60! ...I'm much to slow in planning and making to ever go into 'production', but I might speed up by the time I reach that age.

The thing is ...it's not really that far away!!!!!!!!!!!
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 22 Dec 2007, 09:06

Since you pointed out that Judy Les I will tell that the nose is based on that of the Judy in the Haydon painting of Pike's show.
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 22 Dec 2007, 21:41

Thanks for the consideration, Chris. Much appreciated.- As for the 'web' page comment, you obviously haven't seen My website!! :lol:
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 23 Dec 2007, 03:51

He may not have done, but others have. Very detailed John I must say!
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby David Wilde » 24 Dec 2007, 20:11

I can see what you mean by the detail,look forward to reading some more!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby johnstoate » 25 Dec 2007, 00:10

MM... And a merry Christmas to you two as well! - T'is the season of goodwill after all,- We can't all be Gentlemen, But we can be Gentle Men!! :D
John
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop