Florida Magic PAS767 Portable PA system any good?

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Florida Magic PAS767 Portable PA system any good?

Postby profbunyip » 20 Dec 2007, 04:21

Has anyone used this PA system and could rate its performance, particularly for outside work. I have been eyeing this one off for a while now debating whether to buy or not.

Cheers

Neil
aka prof bunyip from Oz
profbunyip
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Chris » 20 Dec 2007, 12:14

I haven't used this Neil, but I have had a look at it and would make the following observations.

It is very small - about an eight inch cube - thus the speaker must be around 6inch. That isn't going to have much coverage. They claim it is adequate for around 500 people indoors and 200 outdoors. I doubt that very much.
They don't publish output figures.

It works on 110 and 220 volts AC or you can use a 12v battery. In other words, you have to carry an extra battery which does rather reduce the value of its compact size if you need the battery option.

It has provision for wireless michrophones - you would need to check than frequency bands suitable for use in USA are also suitable for your country.

My guess is that this would be a grand little outfit for domestic birthday party use in the home or small hall, or for classroom use, or for use on a trade show demo stand to small groups of people. Actually this would be adequate for quite a lot of entertainers who don't regularly play to huge audiences, and who are mainly indoors with access to mains power.

But if your average audience is 100 plus, and certainly if you want to use music as well as speech, then I would look for something with a larger speaker - or even two speakers - and a known output of 30w plus.

If you are likely to need to use the amplifier regularly without mains power then I would look for an outfit with a built in battery and charger.

For anyone who is interested the relevant url is:
http://floridamagic.bizhosting.com/floridamagic_pas767.html
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 21 Dec 2007, 00:08

I suppose the best way to decide on a piece of kit is by recommendation, and even better by seeing the kit in action, otherwise there's always a risk of wasting money on something unsuitable. So personally I wouldn't buy without having tested a piece of kit.

Following Chris' link there's some potentially interesting items listed as accessories for this set up, including a very compact 12 battery, charger and lead.
...and a clever little 9v battery powered 4 channel mixer to give additional inputs to a pa system, with individual volume controls - don't have a use for it though!

The sort of kit we need is fairly basic technology,(though beyond my making abilities) and combos like the Coomber have the required build quality.

With my' separates'I usually just 'manage' with 12 watts and a small horn speaker, and my problem is that to move up to 30 or 50 watts the amp cabinets shoot up to double the size, though from experience I'd guess they contain a lot of 'fresh air'. It would be nice if someone would bring out a range of compact, bombproof, separates, with rugged leads and connectors etc, tailored to the booth puppeteer, but I'd guess that we are too small a market.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 21 Dec 2007, 00:38

Well a Coomber isn't all that big Les, nor is the small Mipro, and you can certainly get an amp with a huge output much smaller than either of those - their space being taken by a decent sized speaker and battery and charger. But the thing is, if you get something like a vehicle amplifier, and have to carry a 12 volt battery or Power pack to run it, then you may as well have gone for a bigger cabinet with built in battery in the first place.

But miniaturisation is perfectly possible. Geoff Felix has a wonderfully diddy little outfit. The one thing you should not reduce is the size of the speaker.

Yes I too noted the accessories offered - but the ones that struck me were the "better quality" radio mikes offered - which suggested to my suspicious mind that the two supplied with the outfit would be pretty crap.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 21 Dec 2007, 01:40

OH. come on, enough is enough, I am quite prepared to accept a load of junk about allsorts, But on a thread so close to my own ? - It comes down to what works, is cost effective, and gives value for money,- ANYBODY WANT TO ARGUE???
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 21 Dec 2007, 14:35

Yes, Chris, I remember Geoff's diddy amp, that's my point the actual components are rather small, so there's no need for bulky cases. PA components are the only ingredient that I bother about bulk, but partly because all my other kit is just so bulky!

My little amp is 'book size' and my 12v batteries are 'pack of butter' sized, giving the benefit that it's possible to carry a full backup set tucked under a seat in my vehicle.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 21 Dec 2007, 15:38

Does anyone know what John is on about now? Or is he just over celebrating again?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby profbunyip » 22 Dec 2007, 09:52

I was drawn to this PA system by its size and the other accessories in particular the 4 channel mixer as i will want to use this for other puppet shows besides P&J booth work. I am going to email them to confirm the wattage of the speakers etc.

The other portable PA systems I have found through the net in Australia are quite large ~ 16kg! and are more for guitar busking than mainly voice work.

cheers
Neil aka prof bunyip
profbunyip
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Chris » 22 Dec 2007, 21:26

I think it's the wattage of the amp you want. The wattage rating of the speakers simply indicate what they can handle. The amp delivers a certain amount of power at a given resistance of speaker. This gives you a vague idea of the loudness and thus coverage.

You might be better looking at
http://www.mipro.com.tw/link/2_2_ma101.htm
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby profbunyip » 26 Dec 2007, 12:03

I asked them about wattage of amps and this was their reply - see below:

cheers
Neil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Neil
Thanks for your email. The Florida Magic pas767 is rated at 20 watts. This is a very efficient system (it is made with "matched" components. Matched components "work together" to produce a unit that make full use of the available power)with surprising output for its small size. A 20 watt efficient system will outperform a 50 watt inefficient system any day. I don't like to use wattage as an accurate gauge. Wattage is not understood by most people and can be figured in different ways, giving different results (unfortunately, many manufacturers of sound equipment take advantage of this...). I much prefer to tell how I use the system (school assemblies - 500 kids in the cafeteria...); this gives you a better idea of how the system works in the real world. Outdoors, we do cut that number in half as the great open spaces does disburse the sound (but you are still good for a large group outside...). The most important thing to remember is to put the unit up high (you are aiming for your audiences ear level or higher). Don't know your setup, but perhaps you could mount the system on the top of your puppet stage. The unit is approximately 8"x9"x6.5" and weighs about 5 pounds.

Hope this helps. Any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Dan Christopher
Florida Magic
http://floridamagicandsound.com
profbunyip
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Chris » 26 Dec 2007, 12:40

20 watts is quite a respectable rating for most of our work. Personally I would want a lot more power for 500 people. I would also want two speakers.

What they say about power and efficiency is quite correct. But equally, when they say they use it for 500 in a school assembly hall, that is equally misleading. In many school assembly halls I could address 500 pupils without any amplification at all. Assembly halls and cafeteria's have mainly hard surfaces whereas sound is absorbed by soft surfaces (curtains, theatre seats etc) - in other words, just as amplifier/speaker efficiency varies considerably, so do venues and their accoustic conditions.

However I would be inclined to trust what they say as being basically honest, although knock off 25% because they are in the business of selling the units.

What they say about getting the speaker up high is very relevant. One question I would have asked is if you can plug in an extension speaker, and can it be arranged to cut out the internal one?

One of the advantages of the Coomber is that you can have an extension speaker and split the sound between the main speaker and the extension (at either side of a wide stage for example) or cut out main speaker and have all sound through the extension (when you want the control of the sound on the ground, in the booth, with an extension speaker mounted high up, on the outside).

It is not a good idea having the controls outside the booth (you may have got the settings wrong - and once you start you are stuck!) but equally it is not a good idea to have the speaker inside the booth.

For magic it is different - you can have the whole thing mounted on a speaker stand, or stood on a table, at the side of your performance area - and thus if you are getting feedback, or there's too little treble, or whatever, you can stroll across and turn a knob. This is not possible if you are stuck in a puppet booth with a couple of dolls on your hands.

There's a lot to think about Neil.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Workshop