is this sacrilege or would I just be banished to hell ?

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

is this sacrilege or would I just be banished to hell ?

Postby okko » 18 Jan 2008, 09:05

Starting to try using the swazzel (great tips on here) but would this work similar (and reduce the risk of going to the local accident unit LOL?)
Seriously Would using a Kazoo produce similar effects attached to a harmonica Holder?

:evil:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunlendino/533461727/
okko
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby David Wilde » 19 Jan 2008, 00:09

If your want to use a kazoo,be a one man band instead!

There are enough people giving Punch a bad name as it is!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 19 Jan 2008, 19:16

A kazoo sounds like a kazoo. It does not sound like a swazzle.
Why would you want to use a kazoo rather than a swazzle?
If you want to lumber yourself with a harp rack then you can mount various whistles on for special effects - even a mouth organ. You won't be the first.
Nor are you the first to give up trying to master the swazzle at the first bit of difficulty.

Lets get this straight - you don't have to use a swazzle. There are Punch shows which are very good although non-swazzled. But it is much easier to do a good Punch show if you do use the swazzle.

However you either use a swazzle, or you don't.
Kazoos, pegs on noses, electronic voice changers and tight underpants are an utter waste of time in attempting to cheat in the matter of Mr. Punch's voice.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby okko » 19 Jan 2008, 20:30

Clear as a bell!!
my reason for being interested in Punch is because of my involvement in Historical events and having another challenge to work on, so clearly I would want to "do it authenticity" - but thanks for stopping me "turning to the dark side".
okko
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby CvdC » 23 Jan 2008, 22:23

Don't forget that every puppet Punch speaks to repeats what Punch has just said. Even the clearest most experienced swazzlers still do this. In fact it is the other puppets who do most of the talking in a Punch and Judy show.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 24 Jan 2008, 21:28

I've always considered that this repetition aspect is a great part of the rhythm of a traditional show, and even if I could guarantee 100% clarity of swazzling it would still be used for its comedy potential.

It doesn't seem to ever get in the way of the overall flow - and, as what little Punch says is often quite 'controversial' it seems natural that the other character repeats what he says - as they can't quite believe it!

...and are searching for confirmation that he really said that!
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop