Joe Parsonage Punch Renovation Project

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Joe Parsonage Punch Renovation Project

Postby Martin vdG » 28 Feb 2008, 23:16

I am currently renovating a Joe Parsonage Punch that I recieved in a sorry state.

To assist me restore the old fellow to his former glory I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has any photos of a JP Punch showing head and costume detail.

Many thanks

Martin
Martin vdG
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby James » 28 Feb 2008, 23:30

Have a look out for yellow dusters Martin. The last two I saw had them for ruffs!

http://www.punchandjudy.com/variousmakers/imagepages/image7.htm May be of use?

I wouldn't worry too much about remaking it exactly how it was. I would imagine if it was a Supreme puppet corners may have been cut the first time round. Paint/costume in a style that suits you, that works for you, how you think Punch should look. And then add a nice yellow duster for luck!
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 29 Feb 2008, 09:48

I'd agree with James' approach Martin. From the few pictures I've seen (of which you sent me pics of 3 by JP) his heads they are simply carved, with a distinctive 'quirky' sort of 'angular' style.

I've a feeling that with the right painting it could make a cheeky expressive character that would make a usable Punch. Personally I wouldn't go down the road of trying to recreate 'history' but just make him, (with your preferences,) the best Punch he can be.
Mind your head, ...on that light fitting!!!!!
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Martin vdG » 29 Feb 2008, 18:23

James / Les,

Thank you for your tips (yellow dusters have gone on the shopping list!), photo and comments – much appreciated.

Les you are right Joe cleverly created a cheeky expressive look (almost cartoon like) and a distinctive bulbous nose. Not the most instantly appealing Punch but I have found he has grown on me as I have been working on this little project.

It was interesting to hear that you think I should add my own influence when renovating him.

From the photos I have seen of JP puppets some have obviously been redressed and painted but my thinking on this is that if I am going to do him justice I want to get as near as possible to the original otherwise it will no longer be a JP Punch. Hence my request for photos so that I can compare with the ones I have already.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Best wishes

Martin
Martin vdG
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 29 Feb 2008, 19:41

But Martin, what is a Joe Parsonage Punch? If it was Joe Parsonage making for Supreme (which is very likely indeed) then it was Joe Parsonage churning out what he hoped were in the style of Wal Kent - for that is how Edwin advertised them.

So I think Les is exactly right - paint them to the best of your ability to enhance the carving and produce a pleasing Punch and don't worry too much about trying to reproduce what wasn't really individual or original in the first place.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Martin vdG » 01 Mar 2008, 00:50

Chris,

I don't think it is a Supreme Punch which I understand were mainly of 'box' construction. The one I have is a turned-head which to me shows little resemblance to the Wal Kent style Punch. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see it.

However he was obviously influenced by Wal Kent . I understand that Edwin sent him his own Wal Kent puppets for re-dressing and JP thought he could make them so Edwin commisioned a set.

Anyway when I've finished him I will post a picture for all to pass judgement on!

Best wishes

Martin
Martin vdG
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 01 Mar 2008, 19:09

I don't know what you mean by a "box" construction - but there is no such thing as a Supreme Punch really. There were many styles. Remember Edwin had figures made by at least four different makers, each who changed their styles at times. The thing they all had in common was that Edwin advertised them as being in the style of Wal Kent.
Also on your point of turned heads (not necessarily for Punch) but I think that Wal Kent was probably the first to speed up the mass production process by carving into basic turned shapes. This was in pre-Supreme days when he was carving for Vampire etc. I may be mixed up in this. David will doubtless know.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby David Wilde » 01 Mar 2008, 20:29

Yes Chris Wal was the first to speed up production!

Joe did also make turned heads for Supreme,I have his own Punch which is turned and not a box construction!

The Punches advertised as Ladies Punches were turned as well!

You could have a Tony Green one which were all turned I believe!

I have seen some of Joe's figures painted up by other people,and to be honest they looked better than when he had done it!

Joe also used to make Vent figures which he used to advertise in the Exchange and Mart, that is where Edwin found him I believe.
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby johnstoate » 12 Mar 2008, 23:14

Very informed response, Mr. Wilde, perhaps you could answer My queries on the creations of Dave Crowley arts??? Who produced them? How many were produced? - What figures were created, and between what periods?And finally, What distinguishes the style of Mr. Crowley??-Don't panic, I wouldn't expect YOU to know.
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 12 Mar 2008, 23:36

Don't you think you would be wise to let the matter drop John, rather than trying to spread it onto different threads?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 12 Mar 2008, 23:43

Certainly Chris, that was my intention several posts ago. It's just a pity that others couldn't follow such excellent advice! :twisted:
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 12 Mar 2008, 23:47

Nobody else tried to drag it onto a Joe Parsonage discussion apart from yourself John.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby James » 12 Mar 2008, 23:49

What would Edwin say?!
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 12 Mar 2008, 23:57

"made in the style of the late Wal Kent"

What else?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby David Wilde » 12 Mar 2008, 23:57

You are quite rite about my knowledge of Dave Crowley arts.I know only what I have seen on this board, shame otherwise maybe I could have been some use in helping you find out about your puppets!

I had noticed how simular yours and Diggers Punch were, and had made the asumption from all your postings that it was you that had probably made it!

Alas that was not to be the case,and therfore has somewhat delayed me in gathering knowledge on Dave Crowley, even though not my cup of tea, would still be good to have on file for future refrance!

So any info you have would be good!

I do not know every thing about every puppet my knowledge is a bit part in places! I can always use Extra info about the supporting artists of our profession!

Let me assure you that I will try to find out every thing I can,for any intrested parties about there puppets,booths,or any thing to do with Punch and Judy,puppets,magic,vent,I find the whole subject greatly intresting!
Last edited by David Wilde on 13 Mar 2008, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Next

Return to Punch Workshop