the curtain

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Postby Peter » 07 Jun 2009, 11:18

CvdC,
Miraiker tells me I am not chauvinistic in any sense of the word (I think she should know).

I see your point about 'this', but am afraid you may have over analysed again. Actually 'this' was a direct result of Miraiker typing my response while I dictated it. (I don't know how to make words bold).

Anyway, despite your analysis, Martin Bridal's show is funny.
Did I ever tell you about piece work?
Peter
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby CvdC » 07 Jun 2009, 13:34

The trouble with the word chauvinist is that it took on a new meaning a la Male chauvinist pig. But it actually means someone who is stridently supportive of their own nationality. But I really did mean it in a jocular sense. I am quite sure Miraiker is absolutely right.
I am sure the show is funny. I am just interested in why the preference. It just came across that it was simply because it was from British which made it more preferable.

What I was trying to do was actually start a discussion about puppetry, that is the movement of puppets to portray personality and humour. As opposed to the cryptic slurs and obscure allusions to people's personal lives that often occur on this board.
I was interested in how people begin a show using the curtains.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Peter » 07 Jun 2009, 16:16

chau·vin·ism (shv-nzm)
n.
1. Militant devotion to and glorification of one's country; fanatical patriotism.
2. Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind:

I think the second definition covers your 'male chauvinist pig' angle.
I did mention that the bold 'this' was Miraiker's doing not mine.
Since she is not British I don't think she could be accused of chauvinism here either.
However, not being a chauvinist myself, I rarely hold her foreignness against her (except on occasions - well we all must draw the line somewhere!).

I fully appreciate your intentions Chris along with your fascination with curtains.
My preference was because I watched the clip of Martin's and chuckled out loud.
I watched the clip of Petrushka and didn't.
That's my way of judging which I preferred.

John, I would have loved to have seen your curtains fall as they were supposed to - a good idea.
Did I ever tell you about piece work?
Peter
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Chris » 07 Jun 2009, 18:27

the cryptic slurs and obscure allusions to people's personal lives that often occur on this board.

I think it is what is called gossip, and it is as British as Punch, and similarly totally misunderstood by non-Brits.

But don't knock it Chris, without it you wouldn't have a message board to contribute to - it is what keeps it alive. The ones you criticise are the ones who actually write! Just look at the members' list. There are dozens and dozens who have never offended anyone - because all they do is read. They are very welcome - but without the controversial few would there be anything to read?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby David Wilde » 07 Jun 2009, 19:26

I have a Rolar Blind instead,no need for curtains!
Im above all this!!
David Wilde
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 07 Jun 2009, 19:51

Yes and I can think of a very amusing piece of business with a roller blind.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 07 Jun 2009, 22:15

The mind does, indeed boggle! :lol:
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 08 Jun 2009, 02:59

It's not just curtains. (Although I was impressed by John's collapsing curtains at the May Fayre. )
Inspired by Richard Coombs I am also interested in how a puppet disposes of the "Next Show" clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8XCu8G0Jg

I have adopted a warm up routine that involves the monkey trying to put it down. Along the lines of the mop routine it keeps popping back up again.
I then finish having the clock come up, fly up into the air taking the monkey with it. The clock and monkey fall back into the booth, it gets that all important first laugh and I am underway.

So it fits into a category of warm up routines you see from time to time. I have video footage of some amazing ones, David's musical one, bubble machines by Mark Poulton, bubbles forever blown by Geoff Felix and the aforementioned monkey and mop.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 11 Jun 2009, 05:54

And here is another approach to starting the show before you actually start the show. David uses recorded music and does this attention grabbing routine that is choreographed to run into the real start of the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtSWxrAqPIw
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Jun 2009, 12:26

And look what I found hanging about on YouTube....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk2AWrmITYc&NR=1
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Punch Workshop