A lovely set of puppets

If you want to Buy or Sell Punch & Judy related material you can use this forum.
Commercial Advertising will be removed unless by prior agreement with Chris.

A lovely set of puppets

Postby CvdC » 14 Jun 2010, 07:16

Trying to pay off my recent journey and so I am keen to sell puppets.
Here's a lovely set. Carved heads, hollowed out for extra lightness. The gloves are lined and made of good quality fabric. The crocodile is all wood and can swallow sticks, sausages and whatever else you choose to put in its way. I include a slap stick and sausages with each set sold so you can get started as soon as you open the parcel. The postage is about £60 and takes only a week.
The Judy is based on the Roselia figure.

With this set I can add a horse that kicks its back legs.
You squeeze the lever and the legs kick. This is quite good for when when Punch gets a bit too interested in its hind quarters. You might say never look a gift horse in the mouth but this also applies to other end too.

Also I have a Beadle with which you can add a more historical flavour to your show.

All the puppets can be bought individually or to order. I have a few being made.

The prices are:
Punch (with practical legs) £210
Crocodile £187
Joey, Judy, Devil, Constable £175, the horse is £175 and the Beadle is £187 as it took a long time to make the costume.
Baby £52
the devil's fork, sausages and slap stick come free.

I can add a Doctor, a ghost and Ketch to further enhance the set if you are willing to wait a week longer.

Contact me for further details and photos.
Chris@speckinspace.com
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: A lovely set of puppets

Postby lesclarke » 18 Jun 2010, 12:44

I like the idea of working, kicking legs. A year or so back I bought a novelty biro in the form of a boxing 'alien' type figure, with the intention of adapting the design to produce 2 boxers who could throw punches, probably not worth the complication... Has anyone had a 'working' boxer before?

After 4 days of sunshine it has 'run out' so considering 'posting' myself out to the Antipodes, I can just about scrape together the sixty quid, and could do with a week's sleep.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 18 Jun 2010, 17:49

Yes Les, every time there is a major world heavyweight contest there reappears the pair of boxing glove puppets with lever punching action. Only the heads change. I have a Henry Cooper and a Mohammed Ali (then Cassius Clay). The action is very realistic and you can effectively jab as well as deliver a knockout.

I bought these with the intention of making a pair of boxers using the mechanism. I have decided that it would be a waste of time. It would be realistic movement, but limited and not in keeping with the rest of the show. Also it is not funny. It is the very unreality of glove puppet boxing that makes it funny.

If anyone fancies experimenting these glove puppets can still be found in the cheap shops. I have seen them in the last two years in various guises. I have seen a boxing wolfman and a similar boxing ghoul.

I have seen one of these little glove puppets used in a Punch show. It popped out of a hat or box (I can't remember the details) and landed a punch on Punch's nose - not a routine you understand, just used as a surprise like a jack-in-the-box. This was quite effective.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 21 Jun 2010, 11:39

For Les, and anyone else who cares to experiment, I've dug out the toys I mentioned. I hope the photograph will adequately explain the ingenious mechanism.

It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 03 Jul 2010, 15:09

Smashing figures CVdC ... ans some lucky person will get themselves a smashing looking show if they buy 'em/

Keep Carving !

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Sales & Wants