Full set of puppets wanted

If you want to Buy or Sell Punch & Judy related material you can use this forum.
Commercial Advertising will be removed unless by prior agreement with Chris.

Full set of puppets wanted

Postby Baggybetty » 15 Apr 2011, 18:33

New puppeteer learning the art seeks full set of puppets. Am making my own booth as am a single mum so have a limited budget of £100 - £200...am I dreaming? :/
Cheers
Becky
Baggybetty
Weenie
Weenie

Re: Full set of puppets wanted

Postby Alessandro Toccaceli » 15 Apr 2011, 18:54

good luck, hope you will find them soon :)
Last edited by Alessandro Toccaceli on 15 Apr 2011, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Alessandro Toccaceli
Porky
Porky

Postby Chris » 15 Apr 2011, 20:26

With respect, this is the place to advertise members own personal sales and wants, not to transfer adverts from other parts of the web, especially if they are, like these, far too expensive and pretty horrible. I can't think you are seriously suggesting that BaggyBetty should spend nearly £100 of her limited budget on two papie mache evil aliens.

Betty - you are being optimistic but not impossibly so for it is possible that you could get a second hand set in that price range. Watch ebay, and search on ebay.co.uk rather than ebay.com. Use punch judy as your search words. If you can get to the May Fayre in Covent Garden (see Coming Events) then there are stalls with puppets, new and second-hand, for sale. If you limit your set to Punch, Judy, Clown, Policeman and Crocodile to buy, and perhaps use a toy glove puppet dog for Toby, and make your own baby, you are more likely to keep with your budget. By the way, don't go for very big puppets. Most beginners think they should, and it's a mistake.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 16 Apr 2011, 00:27

errr,... 'Far too expensive and pretty horrible' , 'Two papier mache evil aliens' - Is it me, or am I a post missing here somewhere??? :? - Beyond which, If you are capable of making your own booth, you should, certainly be able to make a workable set of dolls given all the information available on this site. Try it, and save yourself some money towards the cost of a sound system.
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Baggybetty » 16 Apr 2011, 09:57

I quite like the sound of those aliens....Punch could be abducted in an X files type update...anyone got a Men in Black puppet for sale? :lol:
Thank you very much for the advice. My woodwork skills are not up to puppet making sadly but i shall certainly keep looking on ebay and such places. If members of this forum should open an old neglected cupboard and a dusty set of puppets should fall out then please keep me in mind!
Baggybetty
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Alessandro Toccaceli » 16 Apr 2011, 11:03

I'm sorry Baggybetty, actually I don't have puppet for sale to suggest to you, apart what I shown you before in the post that I've removed. If you can't carve your puppets, try to sculpt them with some modeling paste.
Alessandro Toccaceli
Porky
Porky

Postby lesclarke » 16 Apr 2011, 15:34

Chris S posted on Workshop section recently his 'tried and tested' method of Papier Mache. Using a 'wodge' of PM to make a basic head shape, and then modelling the head in 'pulp'

This method has the potential to produce heads almost as tough as wood, and being your own work they would have an individual style to them. I'll post a bit more on that thread, where it belongs and post more detail soon.

Once painted, nobody can tell if they are wood or not, they will also be lighter to use, and the only potential weakness I can think of is them being affected by damp, ie a serious soaking and them not being dried out.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Sales & Wants