eBay Watch

If you want to Buy or Sell Punch & Judy related material you can use this forum.
Commercial Advertising will be removed unless by prior agreement with Chris.

eBay Watch

Postby ProfSoAndSo » 04 Oct 2012, 05:38

The advert says, "If they could only talk!" Doesn't he know they can?! :wink:

http://ow.ly/ecUBL
ProfSoAndSo
Chipolata
Chipolata

Re: eBay Watch

Postby Chris » 04 Oct 2012, 17:44

Rather nice, but crap condition.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby ProfSoAndSo » 04 Oct 2012, 19:41

I rather think it adds to their charm. De gustibus non disputandum est, I suppose.
ProfSoAndSo
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 04 Oct 2012, 20:19

and do you think showing off adds to yours?

Actually although the "rather nice" was a matter of taste the "crap condition" was a statement of fact.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Trevek » 07 Oct 2012, 20:01

Is that ancient foreign for "no accounting for taste"?
Trevek
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby ProfSoAndSo » 07 Oct 2012, 23:36

Chris said "showing off", but it took me a minute or two to figure out what it was. I was surprised. No one would say it's showing off to use words like incognito, zeitgeist, etcetera. But where do you draw the line? Is inter alia showing off? Schadenfreude? Weltanschauung? I guess it depends what circles you travel in or what you read. It's fun to hear my 6-year-old talk about swazzles. You get the feeling he's the only one his age using that word. And yes pan Trev, your translation is essentially correct -- some things you don't argue about, some things are just a matter of personal taste.
ProfSoAndSo
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 08 Oct 2012, 09:49

Personally I would think it undesireable to use any of those words if you had reason to think that many of your readers might not understand them, providing of course that you could convey your meaning without their use.

You ask where to draw the line. I would suggest that if communication is your aim then efficient communication should be the criterion. If someone has to break off reading to consult a dictionary it spoils the flow of your argument. Of course if your aim is to proclaim your own breadth of vocabulary then that is a different thing. Context matters, but generally I would certainly think a text peppered with inter alia; Schadenfreude; Weltanschauung inappropriate. I am reasonably educated but would have to check their meanings. I think many of my peers might similarly find them difficult.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Professor Eek » 08 Oct 2012, 12:03

For quotes in ancient and foreign I tend to simply make something up rather than check correct meaning ... so "The Walruses have dropped their trombones" fits wonderfully with the above quote ....
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Postby Chris » 08 Oct 2012, 13:03

That's pretty impressive Eek, if you really didn't look it up? Almost word for word, although some might argue with "trombone" saying tuba or cornu might be a more acceptable translation.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby ProfSoAndSo » 08 Oct 2012, 14:29

Like a good Anglo-Saxon, my little boy prefers pig meat and cow meat to those Gallicisms "pork" and "beef".

:wink:
ProfSoAndSo
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby older bison » 19 Nov 2012, 00:47

I am new to this site. I joined because two days ago I became the proud owner of a 30 pound wooden suitcase labeled "London Punch and Judy Show." It is a nearly complete set and appears to have been used in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in the middle of the 20th century. I doubt I will ever become a puppeteer myself, and I cannot see any use for it here in the Midwestern USA other than educating school children with it. Therefore I will post it on eBay on December 16, 2012 with the auction ending December 26, 2012. I will ship internationally. I am now posting pictures to my website. The website is a blog page. The puppets and some details are there now. Take a look. Pictures of the case and many extras will follow soon. I will not break up the set. It includes a script, a 14 minute audio tape (reel to reel), and a Punch whistle with instructions. Email me with questions and I will do my best to post the answers to my blog page in a timely fashion. I have not set up the booth, but when I do, I will post pictures. Thank you for allowing me to post in your community.
Forgive me. I live in the USA.
older bison
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Chris » 19 Nov 2012, 11:42

The website is http://pulchinello.blogspot.com
But I can't see any pictures or text. It appears as an unused blog site?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby older bison » 19 Nov 2012, 16:14

Misspelled website name ...it's pulchinello.blogspot.com

thanks!

(It's no fun being a weenie)
older bison
Weenie
Weenie

Postby Chris » 19 Nov 2012, 21:46

The American spelling I presume?
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby older bison » 19 Nov 2012, 22:09

I saw this quote on a pantomime website:
"Of all these characters 'Pulchinello' has become the longest living one, especially in British Seaside resorts. He changed his name to 'Mr. Punch' when he became not an actor, but a puppet, and teamed up with Judy, the hangman, the policeman, the crocodile and of course, Judy’s baby."

I think Pulchinello is Italian, from Commedia dell' Arte. Thanks for changing the website link. I remain, a weenie. :oops:
older bison
Weenie
Weenie

Next

Return to Sales & Wants