"Portable" booth on e-bay

If you want to Buy or Sell Punch & Judy related material you can use this forum.
Commercial Advertising will be removed unless by prior agreement with Chris.

"Portable" booth on e-bay

Postby subsy » 28 Feb 2015, 21:58

Foolishley, I bought this booth on the basis that it will be ages before I need it for shows and assumed that Sue would be willing to transport it and me when (if) I get good enough to perform. She isn't willing to take us around!

If anyone is selling a booth that is portable on tube and bus, I would be really interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181678633018?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

subsy
Porky
Porky

Re: "Portable" booth on e-bay

Postby Chris » 01 Mar 2015, 00:51

I think you have neglected to mention the most important dimension - the height of the playboard from the floor. (on your ebay advert)
A booth that you can transport alone by public transport has to be specially made. Remember you don't only have the booth to carry but also the puppets, covering curtains for the booth, and sound equipment. Perhaps it would be easier to get another car or a more co-operative partner.
You could look at the design for just such a booth on this website.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby subsy » 01 Mar 2015, 13:29

Thanks, Chris. I'll have a measure and add the height to my measurements.

Sue may not approve of me seeking another "partner" as we celebrate our 40th anniversary later this year!
subsy
Porky
Porky

Postby subsy » 03 Mar 2015, 15:21

As recommended, I've updated my listing with the height of the playboard - 63.5 inches. That strikes me as an awkward height - high for "in front of face" but low for "hands above head"?

I made a short video and linked to it from the listing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8cwgUqGP2s.
This shows that I haven't yet learned the Punch and Judy arts! :oops:
subsy
Porky
Porky

Postby subsy » 03 Mar 2015, 15:22

Forgot to say (and update listing) this booth wouldn't be suitable for outside use unless it's "guyed" it is so big that it just blows over!
subsy
Porky
Porky

Postby Richard Coombs » 03 Mar 2015, 22:53

Just about any booth would need guy ropes on a windy day Subsy

seen your youtube clip ...just curious , did you film that hands in front, or hands above head ?

best
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 04 Mar 2015, 00:13

Well judging by what he just told us about the playboard height relative to his own height I guess it was hands in front of eyebrows. That's always the problem with buying a booth made by someone else. If the playboard is too low you raise it and lose height in the proscenium opening. On the other hand lowering usually means cutting bits off the legs - which means the canvas is now too long. Or you may decide to stand on a box - and thus find yourself carrying an extra, rather heavy box, which is too shallow to hold anything. And if you are trying to pack everything in the boot of the family car a three foot square box, however shallow, is not easy to accomodate.
Which is why I consider the height of the playboard to be the most important measurement of a glove puppet fitup.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby subsy » 04 Mar 2015, 01:03

Richard, I squatted slightly and played "hands above head". I've updated the sales text to include the playboard height.

As well as being tall, the booth is a bit front and top heavy because of the proscenium and the playboard.

Sales skills lacking as well!
subsy
Porky
Porky

Postby Richard Coombs » 04 Mar 2015, 10:05

Wise words Chris.

Thanks Subsy ( Im not in the market for a booth ..I was just curious )

Given that the booth nearly toppled over in your movie , I would think standing on a box the best option ....with finding a way of bolting/fixing the back legs of the booth to the box to make the thing more stable .

Good Luck
Best
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby lesclarke » 04 Mar 2015, 13:40

With only 22 inches depth, the booth will obviously be less stable that the more typical three foot square size of frame.

My own indoor booth is a similar depth, and I have had a few 'near misses' when I have leaned too hard on the playboard, a bar across the back at ground level helped me to rescue it with my foot.

I originally went for the shallower depth to give more room in small houses, and it has often been useful in small rooms to keep a decent eye line, working hands above. But for any future design I reckon I wouldn't go less than about 28 to 30 inches.
As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 04 Mar 2015, 14:50

Also if there is any possibility of a booth or fit-up falling forwards then don't in any circumstaces use it.
I'm no Health and Safety apologist, but common sense tells me that children sat on the floor only a metre or so in front of such a booth are vulnerable. If it only falls over once in a hundred shows that might be enough to end your career as a kids' entertainer.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby subsy » 04 Mar 2015, 22:18

Another booth has turned up on E-Bay today! Here are the details:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191527962272?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There doesn't seem to be a play board or a proscenium decoration - is that as unusual as it seems to me?
subsy
Porky
Porky

Postby Chris » 05 Mar 2015, 00:21

That is a standard Eric Sharp folding panel booth, hands in front version. An excellent design.This isn't as made but has been re-covered by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. It should be open at the sides. It appears to be missing its playboard pelmet which just velcroes on. Itn fact it looks to me as though the playboard has been completely removed. The proscenium is pretty much as Eric made it. The price is OK as it stands but perhaps high as a starting price. They cost about £300 I think at the time Eric was making them.
I've just seen one new one for sale online at £495 made to order and, from its picture, not as nice as this one.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Sales & Wants