RARE VINTAGE majolica punch and judy tile BY MAW AND CO

If you want to Buy or Sell Punch & Judy related material you can use this forum.
Commercial Advertising will be removed unless by prior agreement with Chris.

RARE VINTAGE majolica punch and judy tile BY MAW AND CO

Postby punchdrunk » 02 Dec 2015, 05:52

Good day all I have come across this in my fathers house he was an avid Punch and judy person .

this tile is majolica reproduction of the early 1970s however very RARE indeed I have tried to purchase from the supplier maw and co of staffordshaire to make a pair but they have not been and will not be in production again since 1974.

any interested parties get in touch

one recently went for auction on worth .com i dno't know how much.

however bonhams sold something similar in 2006 for £1,875.00 that was just the judy one apparently.

this is in fantastic condition and is framed with information on the rear

PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH OFFERS

punchdrunk

Re: RARE VINTAGE majolica punch and judy tile BY MAW AND CO

Postby Chris » 02 Dec 2015, 18:25

If there is information on the back then why not post a picture of the back? You say that this is a reproduction so it would be interesting to know the origin, and why reproductions were made?
I've never heard of a reproduction fetching the sort of money you mention. After all many turn of the century originals are priced around £20. Of course it all depends on how many were produced of a specific design, and whether a tile is part of a larger set, and what they were produced for But the more information you can give the more likely you are to attract a buyer.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 02 Dec 2015, 18:27

Thats a very nice find indeed.

"Bit rich for my blood " as my Dad says = ( too expensive for me )

Interesting to see that it is Judy with the stick : in most shows Ive seen in recent years , Judy is the first one with the stick and Punch takes it off her - and uses it !

Will turn the pic right way up in iPhoto and repost

Good Luck fetching a nice price for it , and thank you for sharing it with us .

Best

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 02 Dec 2015, 19:02

I've been doing a bit of research. If this was made in the 1970s then it cannot be Maws and Co who went out of business in 1970. So presumably if it is a reproduction then it is by someone else, but of a Maws original maybe?
The present owners of what is left of the factory site are The Maws Craft Centre (Jackfield) Ltd. Some of the factory was demolished in the 70s but now the site is a mixture of craft outlets and attractions.
http://www.mawscraftcentre.co.uk/history.php
Of related interest is the Jackfield Tile Museum (part of the Iron Gorge Museum complex) and converted from the factory of Craven Dunnill and Company. It presents the history of the British decorative tile industry between 1840 and 1960, the period in which this factory and that of Maw & Co nearby played an important part in this industry.
I visited the Jackfield Tile Museum earlier this year looking for another Punch and Judy tile that I had seen there 20 years ago. There is a picture of this in one of the many picture galleries on Punchandjudy.com
Maybe I can find it:

Tile panel with Punch and Judy show on beach. Maw & Company c. 1920. Jackfield Collection, Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Sales & Wants