Les is having my 2013 now

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Les is having my 2013 now

Postby Richard Coombs » 12 Apr 2012, 11:39

A cryptic title ...hehe.

I have greatly enjoyed seeing Les Clarkes pictorial step by step through making a new crocodile and Sausage Machine.

It certainly looks like he has been having a really fun time doing it all as well. I am slightly jealous .

Early Spring of 2013 is the time when I shall be making a new Crocodile and a Sausage Machine of my own.
If I am up at "The Heights of Abraham" again for the Summer in 2013 , then for those six weeks I will be presenting a "Sausage Machine Extravaganza" Show- something I have always wanted to have in my arsenal -then 2014 will be back to a more Traditional plot based version.

This was all decided and set in my mind well before seeing Les' splendid new builds ...but his photo journal has only cemented this in my thinking. So thank you Les.

I did start a new set of Crocodile jaws in December 2009 ...but my frozen/burst pipe episode in Jan 2010 rather threw everything into chaos . It will take until the start of 2013 for my house to be back in ship shape condition , and I will be able to pick up where I left off with my Croc.

Thats not to say I am not building Punch stuff at the moment - far from it- I am having a wonderful time in the workshop. Pictures will follow - but not until well after the Mayfayre.
Hector the Horse that I started a few weeks ago just after Christmas , might get completed - but only after the other six new puppet are done. If he does get completed then I might put on some shots of him in the "Horsing Around" thread.

The new puppets I am doing now are for this Summer at the Heights of Abraham - I promised them a specially themed Show to celebrate Mr Punches 350th.
And although there will be some 'regular' Punch and Judy in there somewhere ( Punch Judy and the Baby will be doing their usual stuff ) ..it will very much be a 'one off' 2012 "Special" that will never be performed again after this Year.

Sunday at the Mayfayre will be something of a Dress Rehearsal for the Summer, and so as not to spoil the surprise I won't be posting any pics till mid May.

I just wondered if anyone else is currently making anything new ?
If like Les you are less coy than me ,and feel like sharing , then it would be nice to see some photographs.

All the Best to anyone out there currently carving , sanding , sewing , painting , glueing or sign writing.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Les is having my 2013 now

Postby lesclarke » 12 Apr 2012, 17:31

I can fully understand you keeping quiet about your current project Richard, six new puppets eh?
My guess would be Dr Who - for the time travel - visiting the various ages of Punch, and Ken Dodd, patron of PJF and errr four Meerkats, cos they are now ubiquitous in British culture!

Look forward to the revelation. Not sure who's 2013 I will be having, I fancy taking it easy.

I've certainly had/still having fun with my assorted projects, having spent most of my life working in 2D design, on things with a short life-span it's much more fulfilling to work in 3D on something that could be around for quite a time, and with a puppet - unlike a piece of fine art it even has a 'life', of sorts.

Making isn't for everyone of course, but I'd encourage anyone to have a go.

I have always been inspired by the tale, I think it's about Bruce McCleod (have I got this right?) who after WWII couldn't get any entertainment work, his agent said all he had to offer was a Punch & Judy booking, so Bruce went home, knocked down the fence and made a set! What a star! But remember- it must be your own fence.
Mind your head, ...on that light fitting!!!!!
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 12 Apr 2012, 20:13

lesclarke wrote: I have always been inspired by the tale, I think it's about Bruce McCleod (have I got this right?) who after WWII couldn't get any entertainment work, his agent said all he had to offer was a Punch & Judy booking, so Bruce went home, knocked down the fence and made a set!

And for anyone who hasn't got a fence you can always try http://tinyurl.com/d3dtdlu
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 13 Apr 2012, 12:50

Such a fine line between a Punch puppet and a fence.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 13 Apr 2012, 15:32

LOL ..too true CvdC ..
I have heard of some Punch Shows 'giving a fence' ( sic ) .. but a Fence giving a Punch Show ?

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop