Who Did the Show ?

Anything relevant

Who Did the Show ?

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Apr 2012, 09:09

Just thought Id post this Pic, as the setting was so pretty.

Ive been outside a few times in 2012 already, but on tarmac or playgrounds ( the really good weather a couple of weeks back was good for that ) - But this was the first time this Year I have put out "the Full Monty" with the fencing and audience tarpaulin.

Behind me as I took the pic was a huge array of tents , stalls and information displays stretching out for two large fields -the event was called A "Gamekeepers " Fair ( the hunting shooting fishing brigade , and general outdoorsy types - Ive never seen so many designer wellies !)

The Country House owners whose land we were on , understandably didn't want any of these big Marquees etc blocking the front view of the House ...but had made an exception in previous years for the Punch and Judy Show. I don't know who had done it before , or why they could not be there this year.

All the stall holders I asked about it remembered Punch being there in previous years , but of course didn't know who's Show it was . Next year if the event happens again , they may revert to booking whoever did it first , they may book me again , they may book somebody else entirely. The people whose stalls were right opposite me and who saw six shows over two days probably won't remember if it was the same show as last Year or not...

That seems to be the Cross we bear , that no matter how big a crowd we pull , or how much people enjoy the show , nobody remembers who it was , we are just "the Punch and Judy man".

A humbling fact for Mr Ps Big Birthday Year ...its always Him they remember.

And actually Im OK with that , deep down I think thats how its meant to be.

He is a much bigger Star than any of us mere custodians of his fame can ever be.
It was kind of nice though , to be the one thing at such a Big Event , to be allowed in front of The House ....I guess we have to enjoy those small perks that Mr P's Star status brings.

Richard.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Who Did the Show ?

Postby James » 16 Apr 2012, 16:43

Must have been a good show, even that wall behind your booth is laughing!
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 16 Apr 2012, 18:50

Very Astute indeed James ...it is a "Ha-Ha"

And that is why my red and white fencing does not extend out and around the sides of the tarpaulin- like this :

( my usual configuration ) ..the majority of the fencing is hidden in the first pic as it is forming a barrier between me and the wall , to stop folk walking behind the booth .

Although it may not look so in the photo , this was in fact a distance of several yards , as I could not get physically any nearer the wall because of the steep downward slope in the grass ( A Ha-Ha is basically a trench in front of walls to stop small animals from being able to jump over the wall )

Even as far forward as I was , I still had to put wedges under the back of my booth to level it , as the ground was still on a pronounced 'slope' .

Well Spotted ! ( or was it in fact you performing there last year ? )

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 16 Apr 2012, 21:34

Like Beecher's Brook? Causing a Hoo Ha rather than a Ha Ha.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby James » 17 Apr 2012, 13:45

Nope, wasn't me, just a guess!
Still haven't had my copy of the Evening Star, the delivery service is terrible!
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 18 Apr 2012, 04:40

So Capability Brown finally gets the last laugh.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat