P&J for a 5 year old Prof

Anything relevant

P&J for a 5 year old Prof

Postby Professor Eek » 06 Jun 2012, 11:21

I brought back some finger puppets from Denmark as a small gift for my 5 year old Eddie and that very night he performed a 'Punch and Judy' show for me albeit with Punch being a small yellow duck, the Policemand being a blue panda etc. He got the scenes in the right order and quoted all my good lines (yes both of them!) and I have to say I was filled with huge pride that he'd taken it all in.

At a street party gig on Monday, with bookers permission, he repeated the show to a table of guests so had his first professional engagement at age of 5 and was thrilled by the applause he got.

I now want to get him a set of Punch figures and, whilst he's still interested and engaged by the weired stuff dad does, encourage him to carry on with it.

Does anyone have a small set of figures for tiny hands - I may go for those plastic head things you see on e-bay all the time but for speed and to keep momentum I thought I'd ask on 'ere first.
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Re: P&J for a 5 year old Prof

Postby lesclarke » 06 Jun 2012, 18:48

If he sticks at it he could well be ready for King Charles' Coronation Celebrations.

Does anyone know what those (ubiquitous) figures are made of, is it vinyl? ...and if so any ideas on how one could 'paint' them? The original applied colours look airbushed on to a coloured 'vinyl'

I tried white car primer spray, but it peels easily. How does any pigment adhere to the surface, is it something to do with acids and etching the surface? (Got that bit from somewhere at the back of my mind, is that in connection with painting latex figures?)

The Kasper figure of those sets is nicely modelled, but lacks the character of a proper punch, until you squash his nose down.

This is the way to do it!

Mind your head, ...on that light fitting!!!!!
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 06 Jun 2012, 20:13

Hello Mr Eeek
..fraid I don't know anything about where to get a small set of figures from - but I just wanted to say a BIG well done to Eddie .

I can understand your Pride .

Hugz for you and Mrs Eeek .
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 06 Jun 2012, 21:52

There's a very nice children's Punch set (fabric) produced by the Puppet Company. http://www.puppetsbypost.com

ImageImage

Or if his interest lasts then Miraiker is adept at carving small sets for small hands.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Professor Eek » 07 Jun 2012, 11:59

Cheers all! I'll find him something to be getting on with altough he's being an Explorer at the moment (we're moving the boat upriver so it's like exploring the darkest reaches of the Congo for him).

EEK, Wallingford-on-Congo
==============================
incredibly bad magic and dreadful balloon modelling thrown in for free
Professor Eek
Croc's Delight
Croc's Delight

Return to Punch Chat