Plastic Swazzles

Anything relevant

Plastic Swazzles

Postby Nick Jackson » 19 Jun 2014, 19:01

Have been playing with plastic swazzles after reading Chris's document. I remember him telling me about credit cards many moons ago. Have just moulded a few pieces by heating in a pan of water and then pressed between two spoons – have tried dessert and table with little difference in the final shape. Just wondering if anyone else uses plastic and how it's gone!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Re: Plastic Swazzles

Postby Nick Jackson » 19 Jun 2014, 19:07

Have just realised this should probably be in the workshop section!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby Chris » 19 Jun 2014, 20:38

I use nothing else these days. The odd occasion when I use a silver one it feels heavy in my mouth.
But Nick, surely spoons will give you quite the wrong shape? Credit card swazzles should be shaped identically to metal ones - two pieces of flat metal, slightly curved and then placed concave to concave. You certainly don't want a bowl or spoon shape.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby BookEmDanno » 19 Jun 2014, 21:14

I heat with a hair dryer, holding the plastic with a pair of tweezers.

I then shape over a jam jar before dropping in cold water.

The cream coloured jars seem best to me as they are printed with lines. An exact alignment of the plastic can be achieved and the two halves turn out more or less identical.
BookEmDanno
Porky
Porky

Postby Chris » 19 Jun 2014, 21:39

Well I bend the two pieces together in my fingers, so they are identical. The curve is so slight that you don't really need a former. But if you feel you need one then a jam jar sounds fine - and that's the point - as long as it sounds right.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 19 Jun 2014, 21:46

Chris wrote:But Nick, surely spoons will give you quite the wrong shape?
Well, they've only produced a slight curve. Have yet to add tape and try them out: I've opened the Prosecco – not good before swazzling!
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Newbie `ground up production'

Postby Brian » 01 Mar 2015, 20:11

Nick Jackson wrote:Have been playing with plastic swazzles after reading Chris's document. I remember him telling me about credit cards many moons ago. Have just moulded a few pieces by heating in a pan of water and then pressed between two spoons – have tried dessert and table with little difference in the final shape. Just wondering if anyone else uses plastic and how it's gone!

Hi I been doing just that once I get it going. NHS lottery cards work really well free and smooth easy to mould once I get it right I intend to master speech with screech!! As I mould build shape form and finally paint my characters. However at the moment I have used the 9 mm tape great fun! now I am using the proper wrapping method and sowing thread to hold it all together. Soon will get some 7 mm for a slimmer swazzel this may work better however my Punch voice without swazzel is pretty convincing I wonder does anyone maybe not need a swazzel but just uses vocal chords who is on here? I intend to build my own show from scratch.
Thanks for adding me Mr Chris :D
Brian

Postby johnstoate » 04 Mar 2015, 00:40

HE, HE, HE, Behind the blackcloth.....Something stirred !!!!!!
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 04 Mar 2015, 10:06

Although possibly shaken sometimes John ?
Always in a tall glass I suspect.
:-)
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat