I wish I'd looked after me teeth!

Anything relevant

I wish I'd looked after me teeth!

Postby Nick Jackson » 08 Jul 2014, 20:34

The subject is a Pam Ayres quote. The reality is less pleasant. But It's time I came out with this so I can ask for help!

I haven't been working with Punch for the last couple of years as the day job – long story I won't bore you with. During this time, I've had some serious dental issues – something to do with lack of calcium – and now have to wear a half plate. (Ouch! Hurts to write that.)

Problem is, right now I simply can't swazzle. Now I know I'm not the only Punchman in the world in this situation so I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me a few tips. And, having struggled to write this, I understand if respondents would rather PM than post here.

Punch and I are gearing up for a return in September/October. But unless my swazzling comes back..... :(
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Re: I wish I'd looked after me teeth!

Postby Tony James » 09 Jul 2014, 11:56

I recall reading somewhere someone having to have a denture which interfered with their swazzle and they had their dentist supply a second full plate without teeth but with an attachment to hold a swazzle which obviously would allow the swazzle to be changed over. Where did I read this? Could it have been in Geoff Felix's Conversations?

It would then be a matter of adapting that brief period between going around from a front warm-up (if you do a warm-up Nick) when you enter the frame and begin. Just enough time to switch over to the swazzle plate. No one is going to see you. And if you don't do a warm-up it's even simpler
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 09 Jul 2014, 13:45

You may be thinking of a Percy Press story. He had a dentist friend make him a set of dentures with a swazzle built in. It didn't work. Percy reverted to removing his dentures for the show. He was very adept at getting the dentures back in place very quickly at the end of his show because he used to finish by appearing himself, beaming, filling the proscenium.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Tony James » 09 Jul 2014, 16:07

He was very adept at getting the dentures back in place very quickly at the end of his show because he used to finish by appearing himself, beaming, filling the proscenium.

Thank you Chris. There's your answer Nick. Become adept and do a Percy!
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 09 Jul 2014, 17:26

As for your toothless plate Tony, I rather think you read it on here. Didn't Richard Coombs discuss having done this as something he tried in his early attempts at swazzling?
In NIck's case there wouldn't be much point. If he is going to remove his plate anyway then he may as well swazzle au naturel, rather than shoving in another expensive lump of plastic.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Nick Jackson » 09 Jul 2014, 18:04

The "au naturel" approach is as tricky as going "au dent" – can't explain properly without going into grim detail and as it's nearly teatime.... To be honest, it's almost a question of relearning and this might include experimenting with sizes too. I can eat, smile, sleep and drink as I always could – so I don't see why I can't relearn to swazzle. Irritating though! :(
Nick Jackson
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Return to Punch Chat