Booth side Manner

Anything relevant

Booth side Manner

Postby Chris T » 30 Jul 2014, 00:12

I recently set up a Facebook page to help advertise my show, and somebody posted a very nice review of one my performances. The reason I post this, is they used a turn of phrase that Tickled me. They stated (in relation to a bit of business I do out front prior to the show starting) I had "excellent boothside manner"!
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Re: Booth side Manner

Postby Chris » 30 Jul 2014, 21:26

Yes, a neat quote and very perceptive.
I maintain that your warm up before you go into the booth is as important as the show. If you do this properly among other benefits you will reduce a couple of ever present dangers. Danger number 1 is with young children being frightened by the puppets. If young children like and have confidence in you then they are less likely to be frightened - because although the puppets become very real to them they are subconciously aware of you being in the booth and working the puppets. Something similar is at work with danger number 2 which applies to slightly older children - disruptive behaviour. If you establish your control and discipline before you disappear behind the curtains there is a good chance you will be able maintain that control from within the booth.
If children respect and like you they won't give you a hard time. In fact they are the most easily manipulated any audience. Of course part of the secret is having a genuine liking for children, and sincerity of course. As George Burns maintained: "The secrets of show business are few, and the greatest of these is sincerity, absolute sincerity....... and if you can fake that then success is assured!"
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Re: Booth side Manner

Postby Chris T » 30 Jul 2014, 21:59

Couldn't agree more. I think it really helps if you are able to almost subconsciously pick up on those children who are feisty and are not perturbed by the puppets at all, and those more timid children and adjust your interaction accordingly. To a certain extent I suspect it is a trait you either possess or do not!
Chris T
Porky
Porky

Return to Punch Chat