WINDING DOWN AT THE END OF THE SEASON

Anything relevant

WINDING DOWN AT THE END OF THE SEASON

Postby lesclarke » 14 Sep 2014, 15:37

Not worked today, for last 8 years or so have done a nice local event in a restored Victorian park. Nice event to do with a few stalls, small kiddy rides and a brass band, very good formula, bringing full age range to watch shows. Was not booked for this year, not sure why, they have got an African Drumming Band on my pitch, that's the way it goes, I always liked it as my last event of the season, only 3 miles away, a great pitch, and a nice way to wind down.

All in all a very good season, and after a very busy weekend previous week at Morecambe, and Penistone Show yesterday it is nice to start my 2 week holiday a day early. Penistone weather was bit overcast, but huge crowds at this traditional agricultural show. They had moved my old hill top pitch to bottom of the hill, and constructed a platform to put the booth on, really made it prominent. They had 4 brass bands playing one after another, so for each show noise did slightly intrude, but after starting as the bands changed over, I had 15 minutes to get the audience involved and stick with the show.

Some pics below, which I decided to post in mono.

As if I haven't got enough to do today, with all I've got to do today.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: WINDING DOWN AT THE END OF THE SEASON

Postby Chris » 14 Sep 2014, 17:04

Nice pics. I do like black and white. Looks to be a big booth Les, what is it? Four foot deep?
I've one more outdoor show in September, then my last is in October at a Plum Feast? Although last year I had a couple of days doing a Christmas Street Fair - very chilly. I haven't got the re-booking as yet.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 15 Sep 2014, 13:40

I think the booth is just under 4' Chris @3'10" square, and it is great to have the extra space over the 'usual' 3' square size.
I haven't done a really cold outside Christmas event for some years, and remember fingers that went numb five minutes into the show.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby subsy » 25 Jan 2015, 16:01

Those are great pictures!
subsy
Porky
Porky

Postby Duglis » 26 Jan 2015, 04:16

Thanks for sharing that with us! I enjoyed what I saw of your 2010 show on youtube! -Douglas in America
Duglis
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby lesclarke » 26 Jan 2015, 21:01

Hi Douglas, glad you enjoyed the video, not the best quality or ideal conditions to work in, but I remember enjoying it as there were a few really keen kids. The second part is also on youtube, at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEi1W2orBsM

I sometimes wonder what you Ex-colonials make of Punch & Judy, but obviously some of you 'get it'!

And also a couple of other short clips from one of my regular summer events, a very traditional summer fair at Cawthorne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1rtU3Ix1gA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9D73PonZs

... must get round to uploading a decent video of the show, probably.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 26 Jan 2015, 21:31

Isn't there a good video of your show on this website Les? - of course nobody looks there. Videos on here almost predate Youtube I think. Certainly when I first put them up was when many people were still on dial up internet connection - no broadband.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby lesclarke » 27 Jan 2015, 00:05

Oh yes, how did I forget that? Then again I can now officially have 'senior moments'.
Then again, again, I have been having them for the last couple of years.

Just enjoyed the Ron Codman clip.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 27 Jan 2015, 00:45

Yes I'm rather fond of that. A touch sad, but from it you can imagine him in earlier times. He still has something.

For those who never venture further on to the site than this message board here are links to a couple of your snippets:
http://www.punchandjudy.com/videotheatre/videotheatreproperpunchwhataday.htm
http://www.punchandjudy.com/videotheatre/videotheatreproperpunchsos.htm
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Duglis » 27 Jan 2015, 08:02

Chris!
Just saw some of your shows as well. Great interaction with the children! Super rapport! Many Laugh-out-Loud movements! Wonderful! Going to watch some of Les's shows now too.

Les, Yeah...I get "Punch and Judy"...but it could be because I'm a bit of an Anglophile. I've always been interested in "English" History from the Roman Times till around the Restoration. Punch and Judy now, etc. Also recent UK History. :)

Bye for now! -Doug
Duglis
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 27 Jan 2015, 14:01

Thanks for the kind words. The videos on Youtube are better quality - and longer. Search for Bimbamboozle

Regarding the history of Punch and Judy - the show was equally popular in America in the C19th as it was in Britain and it is so sad that it has now almost been killed off. Where you do find it, it has been so sanitized that it might as well be any other puppet show. But if you can find a copy of Paul McPharlin's history: "The Puppet Theatre in America" there is fascinating coverage of Mr Punch's glory days in your country.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Duglis » 27 Jan 2015, 21:54

Chris,
The Bimbamboozle ones are the ones I saw! :D Great working with the audience! Do you still perform a lot?

Re-The USA--- The Renaissance Faire in Los Angeles had Punch and Judy from 1-3 booths for the last 40 years or so...but they had no performer last year. This year, so far, none either. I emailed them to ask them to please try to get someone. This is getting bothersome. Do you perhaps want to come to America for a month? lol. ;) j/k -Doug
Duglis
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 27 Jan 2015, 22:38

Yes, all the time. My Punch is mainly for birthday parties at weekends, school workshops at certain times of the year, and then at a great variety of venues at weekends during July and August. Throughout the year I perform Punch pretty much every week, although these days it is often only a single show some weeks. But during all school holiday periods I perform daily in my own theatre - the Harlequin Puppet Theatre. This isn't Punch though - these shows are with marionettes. I used to think it kept me young - but now having looked in the mirror I have changed that to "It keeps me enthusiastic."

As for a month in Los Angeles - a great idea, except April May is a busy period here what with the Easter holidays and then of course there's the May Fayre in - er - May.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat