Perhapsit's time

Anything relevant

Perhapsit's time

Postby johnstoate » 03 Dec 2014, 04:19

[quote][/quote]

# It's seems to me that of late we've lost a goody few of practioioners who have moved on to bigger booths in greater space and yet leave no memorial in real terms. Not least me owd mate , ( With the big hat,') So, I advocate a permerant memorial to the Punchmen - We already commemorate the 'Mayfest' Birthday in Covent Garden , So why not establish a traditoion of Named bricks in a wall to commemorate Punchmen , past and present, both those who have performed there, And those who carried the history, We shall start with Piccini ??? And does anyone really care??????
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Perhapsit's time

Postby Chris » 03 Dec 2014, 12:50

I think Punch men are better remembered by their figures and their achievement rather than bricks in a wall. Apart from the fact of bricks having no relevance to Punch, where would we build this wall? Actually I think that the prominent Punch men of the last couple of centuries are pretty well remembered. Off the top of my head I think of Statton, Manley, Green, Codman, Press, Higgins, Beeby, Kent, Quisto, Humo, D'Albert, Macleod, Armitage, Hooper, Pinxy, Roselia, Rosella, Carcass and Tickner, and I am sure that David Wilde, Geoff Felix, Mark Poulton, or James Arnott, for example, would triple or quadruple that list with very little effort. I doubt if your average plumber or juggler could come up with a similar list relative to their heritage.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby flapjacque13 » 12 Dec 2014, 16:50

How about using a wall in the Punch and Judy pub at Covent Garden? perhaps the owners would like to enhance their link with the old profession and the pub name?
flapjacque13
Weenie
Weenie

Postby geoff.london » 08 Jan 2015, 20:21

Alas when the pub was refurbished, the sold off nearly all the memorabilia that they once had on display. All that remains, if I am not mistaken, is the sign outside and the mural. Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby profpanic » 26 Jan 2015, 11:52

I will be content to have "Punch & Judy man" written on my gravestone.
profpanic
Beefy
Beefy

Postby geoff.london » 27 Jan 2015, 15:09

I did make an effort to find Piccini's last resting place to see if, as part of 'The Big Grin', we might get a memorial to him. However he was buried in a communal grave which, I believe, was moved in order to facilitate the building of St Pancras station. So no luck there, although its worth more investigation. His funeral was, I believe, at st Giles church, which still stands.
Percy Press senior has a plaqe within st. Paul's church and you can see it when you next come to London.
There is a small plaque for Gut Higgins in Weymouth, but I don't know if there are any other monuments.
In Ghent there is one for Puppetry and in Liege, one for Guignol. Of the top of my head, thats all I can think of at the moment. Geoff.
geoff.london
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Chris » 27 Jan 2015, 15:52

Aren't you forgetting the most important plaque of all Geoff, that to Mr. Punch on St Paul's Church, Covent Garden. Come to think of it, we've not just a plaque but a whole Church really. I know St Paul's is known as the actor's church, but it is now so strongly associated with Punch that it is virtually our own. And where else could you attend a religious service celebrating a puppet!

Sometimes I don't think we realise how very, very lucky we are and how we should treasure the priviledge we have. For example, I wonder how many of us who enjoy the May Fayre each year take the trouble to thank the Vicar of St Paul's, either by letter or in person? On the contrary, over the past two years I have noticed someone so careless of their priviledge that they start their performance of Punch before the Church service has finished despite being asked not to do so. Whatever one's personal beliefs I would have thought it not only good manners but also in our own interests to not antagonise the Church and parishioners.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 27 Jan 2015, 16:39

As ever Geoff you ability to research things absolutely amazes me.

Well done for finding that Picinis communal grave was on the now site of St `Pancrass Stn.

Agree with Chris about appreciating what we already have, and rather suspect that any kind of memorial to Picini will not happen ( it kind of should have been part of the 350th ...making the next windows of opportunity the 375th or the 400th)

It might be worth you making your findings more widely known Geoff , as then sometime in the future there would be your research to base a memorial on.

Although the grave was moved elsewhere , a big place like a station is probably as good a place as any for a plaque or small statue .... unlike a church , space is not at a premium. Even a floor plaque could find a home somewhere as vast as St Pancrass.

And with a good passing 'footfall' of public , it would have been the sort of spot for a "pitch" that many early showman would have drooled over.

Cost and practicality don't interest me at this point ...that would be for younger minds to work out in the future should the desire become strong enough o ever 'do something about it '

But the best legacy people our age can leave for those youngsters is the proof that St Pancrass would be a suitable place for consideration.

Thanks again.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Duglis » 27 Jan 2015, 22:00

Chris wrote:Sometimes I don't think we realise how very, very lucky we are and how we should treasure the priviledge we have. For example, I wonder how many of us who enjoy the May Fayre each year take the trouble to thank ......

You should realize how lucky you are!!! I wish I could come to a May Fayre. Alas, I haven't been in England since I was 22, back in 1986. Sigh. Sigh. Perhaps my wife and I could save up and attend the 2016 one and combine it with a nice European vacation :)
Duglis
Chipolata
Chipolata

Return to Punch Chat