Punch and Judy and a "Wizard"???

Anything relevant

Punch and Judy and a "Wizard"???

Postby Duglis » 31 Jan 2015, 12:14

Hi all.
As I was browsing some youtube performances, 1 or 2 professors mentioned that they had other shows of Punch and Judy that had a Wizard and a Wizard's Magic Table?? in it. Do you know of whom I speak? Have you heard or seen of a Punch and Judy show that features a Wizard in the show?

be well!

-Douglas in California
Duglis
Chipolata
Chipolata

Re: Punch and Judy and a "Wizard"???

Postby Chris » 31 Jan 2015, 17:57

No, a Wizard is not a character of the Punch & Judy Show. However it is quite usual to introduce a topical or novelty sketch as an interlude in a Punch show - the classics being The Boxing Match or a pair of Chinese Plate Spinners.
A wizard producting a rabbit from a hat, or a witch and a cauldron are other examples, and these might well be used around halloween. Both a wizard and a witch were characters produced by Supreme Magic as part of their range of Punch and Judy puppets, and so do appear quite frequently. Mostly these atarted appearing after Tony Green published his two books on novelty sequences to add to Punch shows. This was in the days when many seaside Punch men would be doing several shows a day, each day of the week, and so many of the children watched the show over and over again. They always enjoyed it, but a bit of surprise in the form of a novelty never went amiss.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Duglis » 01 Feb 2015, 00:49

Thanks for the informative answer, Chris! Much appreciated.

-Doug
Duglis
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby profpanic » 11 Feb 2015, 00:16

Elmo Panic has introduced a nice bit of business with his Joey and a badly behaved white rabbit in a hat .So good an episode that I am going to have to steal it . No Magician yet though ..... give him time though and he will make it fit and why not ...the tradition must always be evolving ..... if it doesn't work it won't survive to the next generation. (nice to be able to steal a bit of business FROM the next generation!)
profpanic
Beefy
Beefy

Postby scumonkey » 11 Feb 2015, 08:26

Bryan "Prof. Jingles" Clarke has been known to use a Wizard now and again...
I'm lucky enough to own a wonderful retired paper mache version he made and
used for some of his own shows...
(at least that's what I've been told) :wink:
scumonkey
Chipolata
Chipolata

Postby Chris » 11 Feb 2015, 15:44

Well Bryan must have made quite a few wizards for Supreme. They were wood of course. Some of his papie mache figures are indeed very nice.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Return to Punch Chat