Rain -Hood and Rays of Sunshine !

Anything relevant

Rain -Hood and Rays of Sunshine !

Postby Richard Coombs » 15 Sep 2015, 12:22

Hello ,
Hope everyone had a good Summer.

My season up at Heights of Abraham was great fun this year.
The Rain Hood that took me so long to build worked a treat !

The venue had put a large awning over half the audience area a couple of years back ...which works nicely as shade on a hot day as well as its primary job of keeping them dry when it rains.

This , combined with the fact that our visitors are mostly 'hearty outdoor types' who enjoy the hills and caves of Derbyshire , means that my 3 shows a day always happen rain or shine ( to clarify ..the audience turn up in pack- a-macs and cagoules and walking shoes and a 'cary -on-regardless-whatever-the -weather' attitude )

So I have never whimped out of doing a show just because the puppets are getting damp
If the audience will stay ( and they do !) Then I carry on.

But damp puppets are not so easy to slip in and out of quickly ...and taking them to the Disabled Toilet to dry them out under the big turbo hot air hand dryer gets very boring.

Hence the rain hood build.
It works like glorified Perambulator hood of years gone by ( think old fashioned 'Mary Poppins' prams )

Anyhow a picture is worth a thousand words :

And as to the "rays of sunshine" .....well it was a visit from these three charming young sunbeams!

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: Rain -Hood and Rays of Sunshine !

Postby Chris » 15 Sep 2015, 15:24

Lovely picture that Richard, and how fortuitous that your visitors happened to have Punch figures in their pockets.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 17 Sep 2015, 12:52

I know Chris , what an amazing coincidence ! :-)

Time was that people would carry a Swiss Army Knife in their pockets for any unforseen emergencies - but these lads obviously think that you never know when you may need an unforseen Mr Punch !

And now , removing my tongue from my cheek , here is a link to my flikr page showing the building of the rain-hood for anyone that might be interested in such a process ( I vowed a couple of years back not clog up this site with 'making-of' sets but instead only post finished articles here and leave the work-sets on flikr)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rkcpuppet ... 424281779/

Best Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby James » 30 Sep 2015, 13:30

Interesting photos, thank you Richard.

Chris, those puppets were from the gift shop, bargain prices!
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Chat