Using fundraiser to buy puppets

Anything relevant

Using fundraiser to buy puppets

Postby Chris Richard » 04 Dec 2017, 14:13

I want to share my experience raising money to purchase a set of P&J figures.

I decided about a month ago to try a fund raiser with the GoFundMe website. It is free to set up, there is no set deadline for contributions, and you do not need to reach your goal in order to collect the funds. While many people use GoFundMe to help pay for things in times of hardship--medical expenses, rebuilding after storm damage, etc.--it is also used to raise funds for cultural activities, the arts, and community events.

The fund raiser went live on November 11, 2017, and in less than one month I received more than $1,000 USD.

I have just ordered a set of puppets from Miraiker. The Punch and Judy I chose are pictured below. I will also be getting Joey, a Policeman, a Doctor, a Crocodile, and a Devil, along with a few accessories. (I am using some of my own savings for this purchase, too.) This is a good basis for starting.

Any additional money I raise will go toward building a booth.

While I was hesitant at first to go public asking for money, I got no negative feedback from anyone about it. I had nothing to lose and I'm glad about the outcome.

It's certainly something to consider by those wishing to start up.

The url to my GoFundMe is here in case you would like to read the proposal I wrote to generate the contributions. https://www.gofundme.com/puppetry-for-fairhaven-ma
Chris Richard,
Fairhaven, Massachusetts, USA
Chris Richard
Beefy
Beefy

Re: Using fundraiser to buy puppets

Postby Chris » 10 Dec 2017, 23:13

I am sure you will find Miraiker an excellent choice to carve your puppets. She does a splendid job.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris Richard » 13 Dec 2017, 02:26

Miraiker shipped them from Ipswich on Wednesday, December 6, and they arrived on my doorstep in Massachusetts on Friday, December 9. Punch and Judy made an appearance--but did not actually perform a show--on Saturday at the Fairhaven, MA, Town Hall during our Old-Time Holiday event. They simply waved silently at people entering the building.

Here is the whole set in a photo taken by Miraiker before she packaged them up. Every one is beautiful.

Chris Richard,
Fairhaven, Massachusetts, USA
Chris Richard
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 13 Dec 2017, 09:06

Very nice indeed, a lovely friendly set of figures.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Miraiker » 14 Dec 2017, 11:01

I am delighted that they all arrived safely, Chris.
I look forward to seeing some photos of the puppets in action.
Who'd want a proper job?
Miraiker
Big Banger
Big Banger

Return to Punch Chat