"Palatial Booths" strikes again

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

"Palatial Booths" strikes again

Postby Richard Coombs » 29 Oct 2017, 12:55

I do hope CvdC still reads the posts on here from time to time ( I know he does not write any himself any more sadly)

He has often joshed with me in the past about the size and complexity of my booths , sometimes calling me "The Palatial Booth Company"
I also miss his clever photoshop satire:

Well I think my latest Booth building project would certainly amuse him.

Fair to say it IS indeed large and a complex design : It is certainly not a Lazy Tongs.
However it will also be the fastest booth to put up that that I have ever made.

Although it is far from finished, I can confidently predict it will take no more than 10 minutes from putting the first piece on the grass to having it completely up and canvas covered.

As always I am going bonkers with my Camera , and have a Flickr gallery as a record of the build.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rkcpuppet ... 1305856828

I have not added in the typed commentrty to the pics as yet , but will when I have time ( Probably when the darn thing is completed )

I realise it is not the sort of construction most folk would want to undertake.
You need a panel van to transport it , so it is not your usual back seat or boot of the car type of theatre.

And like my current aluminium frame booth it will get from A to B in a wheeled trolley.
This I will build only when I have all the Booth parts completed , as it will need to be bespoke size and shape.

Here is my current incarnation:

Chris Van der Craats series of pictures on this forum are a wonderful step by step lesson to anyone wanting to build a Lazy Tongs booth for themselves...well worth checking out.

My photos are not intended to be any kind of instructive lesson in building a booth as I doubt anyone else would want to go down this path , but they should prove a good bit of whimsy none the less

Richard
Last edited by Richard Coombs on 22 Apr 2018, 23:51, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Re: "Palatial Booths" strikes again

Postby Miraiker » 31 Oct 2017, 11:04

Fantastic, Richard. It is always a delight to see your latest project.
Who'd want a proper job?
Miraiker
Big Banger
Big Banger

Postby Richard Coombs » 31 Oct 2017, 16:33

Thank You Miraiker.

Hope all is good with you and yours.
Aslo hope a punch man from Cornwall has been in touch with you about replacing a Punch head that he has in resin with a wooden one.

I told him if anyone could do it : you could.

Richard XXX
Last edited by Richard Coombs on 02 Feb 2018, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris Richard » 31 Oct 2017, 18:19

Very nice! The next one needs to be of bricks. :D
Chris Richard,
Fairhaven, Massachusetts, USA
Chris Richard
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 02 Nov 2017, 21:37

I seem to remember that Richard made his house of bricks some time ago - or was it wood and concrete?
http://www.punchandjudy.com/newbooth/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1411&p=13170&hilit=+workshop#p
scroll down the above thread to Richard's posting - I think this is the start of his new workshop saga.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 21 Jan 2018, 10:26

Good on you for building your own Booth Chris Richards.

Its a big project and an adventure.
Also I believe you get a better performance space that way , and can do a slicker show as all your specific requirements are 'built in'.

Please take some photos along the way and post them on the workshop section here.

Folk do like to see others having a go at such jobs.
Its inspiring , and there is always something to learn from seeing how others approach such a build.
- well I think so , and personally I can't get enough of other builders pics.

Happy New Year
2018 is gong to be a busy one for you I am sure !

Richard too
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 21 Jan 2018, 12:21

Despite what I said in the first post of this thread , I HAVE managed to put descriptions on Flickr to accompany the photos for this new booth build .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rkcpuppet ... 1305856828

Today (Sun Jan 21st 2018 ) will be the 50th day spent building the booth since mid Oct 2017.
Yes I am keeping a tally :-)

It is snowing heavily outside today so day number 50 will be an indoor sewing day.
Im going to see if I can complete the Drop Bag.
Don't be fooled by the photo : the drop bag is far from completed.

Very happy with the work so far.
Lots done , but still much much more to do if this booth is going to be ready for unveiling at the Covent Garden Mayfayre.

Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Andrew Clarkson » 24 Jan 2018, 21:02

Impressive work Richard. I reckon you could fit a log burner in there if the snow continues!
Andrew Clarkson
Porky
Porky

Postby Chris » 25 Jan 2018, 15:17

It certainly is impressive. But I doubt if Richard will need a log burner in addition to the underfloor heating! What puzzles me is how he's going to find parking space for the pantechnicon at Covent Garden.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 25 Jan 2018, 17:56

He he ...if the Council ever get rid of the unlimited free parking on those two streets near the Covent Garden Church , then it will certainly be the end of coming to the Mayfayre for me.
And a few other folk as well I shouldn't wonder!
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 14 Apr 2018, 10:20

Im doing very well with my current project of building a new booth.

The plan and hope was to have it ready to use at the Covent Garden Mayfayre.
I am very glad to say that is now looking certain to happen .

This was not a foregone conclusion by any means.
The whole job has proven more time-hungry than I had expected.

- Not more involved than expected - I knew from the outset exactly what I was getting myself into .
Indeed before I cut a single piece of wood , I had planned out in detail not only the build of the booth but also the wheeled travel units for storing and transporting it.

However it has certainly taken more man-hours than I anticipated.
But underestimating labor time has always been a fault of mine , which is why I only make stuff for myself and don't take commissions to build for others !

But a mixed blessing of having less filming work than I would have liked through Winter and Spring has meant Ive had the time to devote to it.

Today , Saturday 14th of April is my 111th day of building ( all the 'ones').

But tomorrow I am going to use the booth for the very first time !!
I am thrilled and super excited.

It will be very far from 100% finished - as indeed it still will be at the Mayfayre-
But it will be usable.

And it is important before Covent Garden to have a couple of test runs of putting it up and using it for real.

Tomorrow is at 'Conkers' family adventure park in their under cover amphitheatre.
So although "outside" it more like an indoor gig.
This means I don't have to paint or varnish the roof panels.

A week later on Saturday 21st April I am doing The St Georges day event in Hinckley town centre ...which is a full outdoor event , so open to the skies and the weather .

The combination of both these performances should see me ready for Covent garden on Sunday May 13th.

I still have a fair bit of work to do on the booth today , so it will mean working up to the eleventh hour and getting to tomorrows gig a bit tired and frazzled.

BUT ...this is normally how I am for the Mayfayre , so I am thrilled to be at this stage now in time for two dress rehearsals :-)
Like I said thats the mixed blessing of having had the time available.

A couple of pics from today :

I will post a pic or two of it in position tomorrow.
Best to All
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 16 Apr 2018, 20:30

Very impressive Richard. And I hadn't realised you had such a big back garden.
That booth will surely make an impression at the May Fayre.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 17 Apr 2018, 12:04

Thanks Chris :-)

Actually the back garden is not all that big ...I think shooting the pics 'upwards ' catching the laurels and the sky creates a bit of an illusion.
The sky indeed is enormous ..but I cannot claim that as being exclusively part of my back garden.

Still a lot of work to do on the Booth this week, as Saturdays St Georges day Event in Hinckley is an outdoor one.

So I ned to get the Roof panels painted and varnished.

Be lovely to see you at the Mayfayre ( or what the trendy set are now texting as MF18 )

All the Best
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 17 Apr 2018, 14:27

By the way Richard (and anyone who posts pictures) if you notice any of your pictures in an earlier post have vanished and just show the text "image" then here is how to recover them. Click on EDIT at top right (you can only do this with your own postings) and the posting will change to show the html coded version of your entry.
Mostly it will be what you have written, but where the images are linked it will look like code. The actual links to the images will look something like the URLs you type into a browser to get a website. Look for the words postimage.org and change the .org to .cc so that it now reads postimage.cc . You will probably have to make this change twice for each image. Do not alter anything else, but scroll to the bottom of your entry and click SUBMIT. Your images will then reappear. If they don't it means you have probably forgotten to click SUBMIT.

If you find such non-images in an historic posting you are interested in then you can either contact the author concerned and ask them to make the necessary edits, or failing that you can contact me to do it. I will need the name of the Board (eg:Workshop) the name of the Topic (eg Palatial Booths), the name of the member who made the posting and the date of the posting in which are the pictures you want to see.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 17 Apr 2018, 19:25

Thanks Chris

Just tried that out with an old posting of mine

Very easy ...find the photo code and for each pic in the text there are two .org which when changed to .cc brings the photo right back/

Easy Peasy.

Probably worth you cutting and Pasting that advice into a dedicated message on both "Chat' and "workshop" sides of the site so people find it easily.

Thank you for the info , it works a treat !
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Next

Return to Punch Workshop