DRINK UP LADS ...AND LADIES

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Postby Tony James » 10 Jun 2007, 23:11

I merely relate that which my doctor told me when he first supplied me with some.

There is i was led to believe some difference between salt tablets (to replace salt lost through sweating) and these electrolytic salts whose function is to help retain fluid rather than allow it all to pass through.

I seem to recall some packaging a while back appearing to confirm this description.

of course I could be entirely wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but I can only tell you from experience that copious water drinking doesn't work as well as smaller quantities containing these salts.

You can obtain neutral flavour as well as lemon though the supermarkets tend to offer blackcurrant.
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Jun 2007, 10:12

Yes you are wrong about the reasons for taking salts - but not of course about their efficacy:
If you are dehydrated, you will have lost sugar, salts and minerals, as well as water. You should therefore drink a re-hydration solution that contains all the essential ingredients that you need to re-establish the right balance of body fluids.

Drinking too much plain water when you are dehydrated can make the problem worse because it can further dilute the minerals, salts and sugars in your body. A sweet drink, such as cola, can be useful for replacing lost sugar, and a salty snack, such as a packet of crisps, can help replace lost salt.

The above is from the NHS Direct website.
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=123

p.s. Some of my family, unlike me, are in useful professions!
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Tony James » 11 Jun 2007, 11:40

Thank you Chris. I shall convey this to my doctor who, no doubt, will tell me that he explained to me as he did because he didn't expect a Punch & Judy man of very little brain to comprehend the finer medical aspects.

On the other hand he might suggest i got it all wrong. Still, so long as one can tell the time one doesn't need to know how the watch works, interesting as that may be.

I'll keep taking the powders!
Tony James

Magic With A Punch!
Tony James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby johnstoate » 11 Jun 2007, 12:03

Err, Chris, re; your comment, Quote, "Some of my family, unlike me, are employed in useful professions" - I trust you are not implying that ours is not a most useful profession. After all, we are the guardians of an ancient knowledge, and dispense mirth & merriment whilst allowing the poor overworked masses a break from the drudgery of everyday life whilst our hero pokes fun at authority and bureaucracy, thereby giving a healthy dose of stress relief! (Not to mention keeping the kids amused for a blessed few minutes on a hot day)-We should be available on the National Health!! :lol: :lol:
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 11 Jun 2007, 12:22

I said "unlike me" John. 'Me' usually implies the singular and therefore my remark did not express any opinion as to your usefulness.

<p>
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby johnstoate » 11 Jun 2007, 12:36

My uselessness is not in question Chris, It's well known. I was, of course, referring to your chosen profession. Given your status within it, you cannot deny the inference. However, I take your point. :wink:
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

isotonic

Postby Trev » 18 Jun 2007, 14:25

Does anyone know if these isotonic sports drinks are as good at replemishing as they claim?
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby lesclarke » 18 Jun 2007, 22:19

Reports I've read in the past in running and cycling mags seemed to reach the conclusion that, though effective, they offer little if any benefit over a DIY sugary/salty drink.They are way of selling expensive water + sugar + salt, (with a few other ingredients.) There's lots of advice on the web for making your owns rehydration drinks at a fraction of the cost. I think in the past one famous brand was challenged over its claims.

On one site the obvious point that stuck in my mind was that you are more likely to drink the required amount if you like the taste. The basic guidelines are that we should drink 2 litres of water, =8 glasses per day.
lesclarke
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Richard Coombs » 19 Jun 2007, 22:10

A big thanks Les for raising the whole issue.

However each person resolves it ( more water / squash / isotonic drinks / rehydration salts -dioralyte etc ) ..the main thing is to do something

And I agree that the best thing to take is whichever one of the above it is you enjoy drinking : only then will you drink it all.

As you started off by saying it is easy to get out of the habit of having enough fluids with you when out on a job ..and making sure you guzzle it all

Since your first post , I bought some Dioralyte fom the chemist and have one bottle of that and one bottle of weak squash out with me every work day ...and am making sure I drink enough water at home when not working,

And I feel SO much better !

Less tired, my mind is clearer too .

So thank you for the reminder.

Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby CvdC » 20 Jun 2007, 21:07

But Richard surely you can just go over to the sink in your booth and drink tap water.
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby billywand » 20 Jun 2007, 21:26

I think the sink is temporeraly out of order while he is having the Jacuzzi
plumbed in !!!!!

Hope all is going well with your new booth Richard, I'm finding my Ali one easier than I thought, thanks to some of your tips, and it being more or less a lightweight copy of my present one.
Kind regards
Billy Wand

Remember nothing is foolproof to a very determined fool
billywand
Thick Link
Thick Link

Postby Morris » 04 Jul 2007, 15:26

I know this is digging up an old thread, but if people want to be plumbed in whilst doing shows, why notuse a camel-pack - a small backpack-water-carrier with a narrow tube attached which runs up one strap so that it ends up about mouth-level. They seem popular with cyclists and the like, and you have the advantage that you can carry it with you.

Haven't tried it but its an idea.
The Other Morrisman
Morris
Beefy
Beefy

Postby ruby » 04 Jul 2007, 18:44

May also to be lucky in a passerby. Last Saturday I found an Air raid warden complete with a Stirup pump and a Bucket. Much enjoyment has he pumped the flooding from the booth.to allow commencement.
I must keep him for the beaux tellling as he is equipped also wth bucket, rattle, bell and even a tin hat!
ruby
Chipolata
Chipolata

Previous

Return to Punch Workshop