Hector the Horse - any suggestions for fabric?

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

Hector the Horse - any suggestions for fabric?

Postby martin@no10 » 01 Jul 2007, 17:48

My latest attempt at puppet-making is a Hector the Horse - he's painted, got tail & mane, hat & saddle, he's on a stick for controlling - I've been rummaging about today in various bags of fabrics but can't see anything quite suitable. Any advice as to type or weight of fabric or thoughts as to colour would be much appreciated. I tried to use the "search" feature but it wouldn't work for me - or more likely I used it wrong! I've had a look through the site but can't see anything specifically on Hector, but I may be missing it. I also did an image search on Google but nothing of use surfaced.
Thanks.
martin@no10
Porky
Porky

material

Postby Trev » 01 Jul 2007, 21:01

How about a grey felt, or something like that? Could look nicely rough for a horse.

I used to actually have a furry hand puppet of a horse which I used to have Punch try to ride (well, we called it Duncan the Donkey... a bit more of a Scottish name, I suppose).

Incidentally, I might have a contact for some booths and puppets in your area if you're interested.
Trev
Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Postby johnstoate » 03 Jul 2007, 23:43

If, like me, you work black backcloth, you could use a simple black basecloth for the bottom edge, if you are working with a full skirt, possibly a tartan, given your location?? I will doubtless be corrected, but I don't think it matters, so long as you achieve a result which you find pleasing, be it grey felt, (Looks natural horse) or outlandish tartan. As to the weight, any medium weight fabric, (Coat or dress quality) should be fine, if you find that it 'flies' you can always weight the bottom edge with a bit of light chain, (Plug chain or similar) stitched to the inside edge. Hope this helps. :)
John
Weaselly distinguished, Stoatelly different!!
johnstoate
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby ruby » 04 Jul 2007, 18:20

Formerly my horse was a mop end. That is of the dreadlock type not the blue jeyes.
ruby
Chipolata
Chipolata

Thanks

Postby martin@no10 » 04 Jul 2007, 19:29

Thanks - I have now acquired some black fabric, it should swish about OK, though I may need to weight it down as suggested above.
Many thanks, Martin
martin@no10
Porky
Porky

Return to Punch Workshop