design for a baby

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

design for a baby

Postby CvdC » 13 Jan 2010, 01:07

I guess that there is no such thing as a Punch and Judy show that does not feature a baby. (? ... maybe)
Here is a design I came up with. It is only 2 1/4 inches in diameter by 6 1/2 inches high. A baby needs to be of a size that can be picked up and tossed about by other puppets. So I guess finding the right size, shape and weight is quite important.
This puppet can be turned on a lathe as it is simply a dressed up skittle. It is round so that it can be rolled up and down the stage. The head can be carved or kept simple. Personally I like the design of these Pinocchios and base my own on them.
I find that with the base and head balanced, the baby can be tossed in the air with a nice spin which I think looks much better than just dropping it discretely down.

This design also features a removable stick. The Punch puppet can lift the baby on and off its stick during performance. If the stick is a bit loose in its hole the baby can be wobbled as it walks and even made to spin (a la Coombs).

The arms are made so that they will freely wave about when the puppet walks or is waved about by Judy or Punch - It seems that a baby is a subtle form of puppetry. (I would have liked to put online a compilation of various baby routines to highlight the variations and inventiveness but one needs to be a bit cautious as to how it looks out of context.

If I have written anything contentious above then feel free to comment. I can take it. I'm used to it now. :wink:
It has been my experience that I am always true from my point of view, and am often wrong from the point of view of my honest critics. I know that we are both right from our respective points of view. - Gandhi (Having a bob each way.)
CvdC
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Return to Punch Workshop